Dell S2716DG Keeps Getting Stuck In "Power Save Mode" At Startup And After Sleep

Meety Peety

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Hello all,

I recently posted looking for a monitor suggestion for a new machine and I ended up deciding on the Dell S2716DG 1440P G-Sync monitor. I am now having issues with it and I am hoping you guys may know what will help. Because disabling "deep sleep" did not work for me, I don't know if I should start looking at my GPU, cable quality (I used the DP cable that came with the monitor) or if this is a display port problem that can be fixed by going back to HDMI? OR something else?

The problem I'm having is that the monitor will not wake up from "power save mode" when I move the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard. When the machine is turned off, when I hit the power button, the screen starts to display startup screens and then immediately cuts to the same "Entering power save mode" screen and then goes blank. I have googled and this seems to be happening to other people, see link below. I will point out that this doesn't happen 100% of the time, but very frequently and I can usually force the monitor to start displaying by cycling the power button on the monitor several times. This doesn't always work though, sometimes I have to force shutdown via the computer power button.

- I have already disabled "deep sleep" mode within the monitor

- I have completely disabled all sleep modes within the computer (I am not happy about this BTW, I shouldn't have to do this)

- I have reset the monitor to factory settings

- I have tried both DP ports on my GTX1080

- I have made sure to turn the power off to the monitor when shutting down, upon start up I hit the
power button on the monitor as well to turn it on

- I am currently running on HDMI as I *think* I had read somewhere that this could be a display port issue? Something to do with DP doesn't send the correct signals from the computer to tell the monitor it is time to wake up? As of a few minutes ago, this is what I am trying, but I am actively seeking other ideas to try in case this doesn't work.

I tried to call Dell's customer service and they just kept telling me it is a setting in the computer not the monitor, yet they can't tell me what setting needs to be adjusted which tells me they are just deferring and don't really know the cause of the problem. Once I tell them I have already checked the basics they just transfer me to someone else who starts all over with wanting to ask me if the power cable is plugged in. No surprise there I guess, that's what customer service has turned into.

Link to other threads which did not resolve the problem for me but gives more details on the issues that I am having.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19670404

Solution
If you can see your bios on you DP then it's probably not a hardware problem. Something is causing it to sleep and not wake. Go into your monitor setup and select an input your not using like HDMI. It should tell you there is no signal. Then go back into your monitor setup and select your DP and your monitor should wake. I've had to do this many times with my Dell.
I had the same issue and disabling deep sleep is what fixed it for me. I am using DisplayPort as well.

I'm pretty sure the reason for this lies in between being the monitor's fault and being the computer's fault. But I never read into it further since I found out that deep sleep was causing the issue.

Meety Peety

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Well if anyone out there is interested, I have been on HDMI since posting and the problem *seems* to be better now. I wouldn't really call that a fix, and I think it's super lame that I had to find a "work around" and can't even make use of technology supposedly supported by the monitor. Glad my GPU has 2x HMDI/2x DP instead of 3x DP.

Still interested in any ideas anyone may have to actually fix the problem instead of working around it.

Svvamprat

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
If you can see your bios on you DP then it's probably not a hardware problem. Something is causing it to sleep and not wake. Go into your monitor setup and select an input your not using like HDMI. It should tell you there is no signal. Then go back into your monitor setup and select your DP and your monitor should wake. I've had to do this many times with my Dell.

Solution