Dell Says Its New XPS 435 is "Mind Blowing"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grampyjames

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
I'm not sure where the $3000 - $4000 is coming from. I was going to build a new workstation from Cyberpower PC but it gave the IT guys at work heartburn. So instead I ordered this from Dell $1099, 12GB RAM (Newegg) $200, EVGA GTX260 (Newegg) $200, 600w powersupply $129 and for $1600, everybody's happy, The IT types because it says Dell and me because it will tear up Photoshop, and play a decent game. The same thing from Cyberpower PC was about $150 cheaper but I like the 435 case.

consumerist

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
So now all of us fools who bought the very expensive and faulty XPS 730x, are screwed once again.

The 730x has 228 posts about it in ONE THREAD on the Dell forums for LOSING POWER, REBOOTING, and CRASHING OVER AND OVER without Dell FIXING the issue.

Now this MUCH CHEAPER Xps One 435 has 24 GIG Ram, as opposed to the crummy 6 Gig Ram of the Xps 730x, Dell's so called HIGHEST END XPS. The XPs One 435 also has the SAME I7 chipset as the much more EXPENSIVE Xps 730x.

What is worng with this picture?

G

Hey, I'm not ignorant and I bought a Dell 435MT... :p

For $800, it was a pretty decent deal for building a basic Core i7 system. I could have bought all the parts from a local shop (for more) or parts from places like newegg (for about the same) - but then a Dell system just works. You buy it, you set it in the corner, and you forget about it.

Where Dell will kill you is if you start buying all their over-prices options. If you just want a basic system, Dell is a good value. If you want to build a top end gaming machine, or if you are a tweaker - then of coarse Dell it not the machine for you.

BTW - mind-blowing? (not). Article is also deceiving - the memory and drive limitations of the earlier 435 are.... Mostly Dell's marketing team. They don't offer more as standard options - you just buy them yourself. IE, you can put 2 drives in it (but your only offered 1 drive as an option).
Really, isn't it just the same hardware in a new case with slightly larger PS?

Status
Not open for further replies.