Dell Shows Off Its Entire Windows 8-Based Fall Line-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Dell = charge less for cheap parts and then charge exorbitantly for subsequent repairs/warranty.
Bought a notebook from them this time. But never gain!
My money is going to Samsung/Asus next time.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]Dell = charge less for cheap parts and then charge exorbitantly for subsequent repairs/warranty.Bought a notebook from them this time. But never gain! My money is going to Samsung/Asus next time.[/citation]

Hows about a Thinkpad? :p

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
There are no new XPS laptops? Not the duos. But I guess the XPS 15 just got a full refresh recently anyways and doesn't need a touch screen.

f0xnewz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2012
Why no Business products, you remember business products - 90% of their sales? I really want to see the Latitude lineup.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]hydac7[/nom]Why in hell would anybody buy a laptop or what ever without a user replaceable battery :|[/citation]
Because Apple did it. That makes it cool and hip!

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]hydac7[/nom]Why in hell would anybody buy a laptop or what ever without a user replaceable battery :|[/citation]

To shave off a few millimeters I suppose. Not like Joe and Jane consumer normally replace laptop batteries when they are dead anyways, but really with modern batteries by the time you get to half its original charge time the laptop is probably obsolete then anyways.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]f0xnewz[/nom]Why no Business products, you remember business products - 90% of their sales? I really want to see the Latitude lineup.[/citation]
Because it has Windows 8 :)

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
No replaceable battery=not for me.
I bought a dell xps 15 lx502. 1.5 years later the battery is at 65% health and i barely use the thing on the battery. In another year it probably wont last me longer than 1 hour. I can replace the battery on this computer but these, with the quality of dell's batteries, no way.

gunbust3r

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
What the heck happened to the Dell industrial designers? They wonder why they have lost double digit market share? Look at the laptops. The latitude went from ok looking D series, to the first gen E that was angular and badass. Then all of a sudden the E series becomes gumpy silver rounded corners with HUGE plastic bezels around the screen.

[citation][nom]whyso[/nom]No replaceable battery=not for me. I bought a dell xps 15 lx502. 1.5 years later the battery is at 65% health and i barely use the thing on the battery.[/citation]

Yep, I've had two Dell laptops in 6 years (Inspiron E1705, XPS 17). Both batteries stopped holding the majority of their charge within the first year of ownership. I bought cheaper OEM replacements but they didn't last any longer than the originals. When you spend over $3k on two laptops in three years, you expect to not have to spend hundreds more in batteries. Those were my last Dell laptops.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

Because it's generally assumed that customers would replace the laptops before the battery get worn out.

And I do recall Dell got in some hot water when they programmed their batteries to suddenly "fail" when they're long from total battery failure.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]Yep, I've had two Dell laptops in 6 years (Inspiron E1705, XPS 17). Both batteries stopped holding the majority of their charge within the first year of ownership. I bought cheaper OEM replacements but they didn't last any longer than the originals. When you spend over $3k on two laptops in three years, you expect to not have to spend hundreds more in batteries. Those were my last Dell laptops.[/citation]

I think Dell was honesty thinking that you would replace the laptops within a year.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
I like that Dell's WinRT tablet has a dual-core Qualcomm S4 instead of the Tegra 3 MS stuck in the Surface as well as pretty much every other OEM. Still waiting for something with an S4 Pro or better, or a really nice Win8 tablet with an AMD fusion chip.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
touchscreen on desktop is seriously awful... I aint gonna reach my hand to the screen to move a window.

Just release a giant touchpad that I can place on my desk will do.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]This is an advertisement, am I right?[/citation]
Nope, our team was invited to an event, we went, and we covered it. =)

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
The ergonomics of large touch screens is questionable. A mouse allows you to reach any point of the 27" screen through tiny movements of the mouse. Also, cleaning fingerprints from such a large display is going to be a major pain.

You can also see how they have pulled up the display so it's almost hanging right at the edge of the desk. No one works like that. Almost everyone I know push their display back and have all sorts of junk between the keyboard and monitor, like coffee mugs, papers etc.

This is why different input methods and different user interfaces for each class of device makes sense.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]touchscreen on desktop is seriously awful... I aint gonna reach my hand to the screen to move a window.Just release a giant touchpad that I can place on my desk will do.[/citation]They are releasing giant touchpads to place on your desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.