Dell Targets End of 2012 for New Tablet Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'll buy a tablet when I cant get 1920x1080 resolution (or better) and not before. Movies just look like crap on the lower res tablets.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Tablets have uses... but not for me...

I am happy with my DroidX capabilities and 4.3" screen... if I want bigger/better I go to my Monster PC with 27" Cinema Display... if I want even better... I go to my PS3(Blu-ray) and 47" LCD....

Tablets are of no use to me. They seem to fall into more of a business luxury.

yanjustin98

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Don't really see the point in tablets. Cell phones are improving quickly enough and with 5 inch screens there really isn't too much of a point to tablets. Might as well have a laptop and a phone. And if Dell doesn't have a bad enough reputation in computers.

kaisellgren

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
Are you guys kidding? One use for a tablet I have is to be able to watch movies, surf the web, read ebooks and maybe even play time wasting games. I do that a lot while I travel. It takes an hour to go to job and back, a 10" tablet is far better suited for movie watching than some smartphone... and I see no point in a laptop because they are too heavy to carry with you every freaking day.

yanjustin98

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Now that you put it this way, it does make sense. But the cell phone industry is growing so fast. Won't be long before we're all walking around with cases designed for like 6 in phones. Pretty funny stuff. But for practicality purposes I would get a laptop and cell phone first. Tablets definitely offer a good option for a entertainment tool and flexible entertainment platform.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Ok, if Dell did happen to build my dream tablet it would have a hex-core RISC processor, 2 gigs of RAM, 1920 x 1080 HD 10.1" screen, microSD slot, and HDMI out. Also it would come with a keyboard dock that adds 2 full size USB ports, 8 hours of battery life and has another HD ~100 gigs. All this for only $200. And so ends the pipe dream.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Tablets are very handy for short duration content consumption, like surfing the internet in bed before going to sleep or doing some doodles while on a boring meeting. But i won't use them to do real work.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
By the time Dell want to try again the market may be too saturated to be able to absorbe the quantities Dell would have to move to make it worthwhile. So they would have to come up with a real low price point, thus not making enough profit to pay for R&D... and either loose a bundle in the process or realize it is better to not bother and OEM someone else's tablet with a DELL stamp on it.

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
People who bash tablets do not have one. I thought the same thing until I picked up 1, then 2 more for the family and we all use them for various reasons. My toddler uses zoodles.com kids games, the wife does her puzzle/jigsaw/search games and whatever else, and I use mine to monitor stocks or GPS for my car.

The following predictions are what most consumers are looking for: Apple, Android or Blackberry(soon Win 8 tabs?) for their tablets. I hate to make it this simple but that's what it is. I love competition because that always benefits the consumer. Unfortunately, the smaller players will fade away through time. Care to wager?

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Razor-thin device with a thin bezel. Because most tablets are way too thick.

No buttons PLEASE! Only a power button, and if possible, make it click behind a piece of plastic, effectively making it completely water-proof! Meaning none of that speaker sieve crap. If you do add speakers make sure no one can spot them at a glance and that they'd have to place their ear right next to it to be able to find out where they are.

10h+ battery life.

USB 3.0, HDMI.

3 models in: 8, 32, 128 GB capacity - the high-end model sporting a Wacom layer and an embedded stylus.

Android and Windows 8 in a dual-boot configuration.

Make it happen, Dell !

Status
Not open for further replies.