Dell to Rid Itself of Factories by 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
[citation][nom]mikeynavy1976[/nom]Doesn't look I'll be buying a Dell ever again. The only Americans making any money on this are the very few that don't need it.[/citation]
Hear hear.

G

Totally agree with you Navy man I remember here in Austin with lots of Dell layoffs and the tech bubble burst along with peoples 401k that dumped it all into Dell stock.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
The last time I recommend a Dell when they were Made-to-Order. After they made the move to sell them at Bestbuy ie mass production; material quality and design went down the tube. I stopped recommending them but didn't discourage someone from buying but with this news, I would.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
It would appear Dell Inc. is looking to sell its computer factories in preference of outsourcing in an attempt to cut expenses

F@#$ Dell. More made in China/Mexico garbage.

Who the hell are we supposed to buy office machines from now?
This is beyond BS! HP machines are of poor quality and often have proprietary hardware making fru's hard to find or expensive. IBM sold there share over to lenovo, a company I had never even heard of before hand. I have had a handful of lenovo machines that have go down due to hardware failure too. Now Dell is in the same mix.

You know, maybe it isn't the workers who are over paid and lazy, maybe its the CEO's and industry leaders who are too fat from stuffing cash down their fat-asses and too lazy/stupid to invent more sophisticated methods of producing and shipping products.

So instead they opt for the old method; finding some poor shmo to do it for less and step over their own workers in the process for another buck to stuff their faces with.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

F@#$ Dell, F@#$ them up their stupid asses.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
It would appear Dell Inc. is looking to sell its computer factories in preference of outsourcing in an attempt to cut expenses

F@#$ Dell. More made in China/Mexico garbage.

Who the hell are we supposed to buy office machines from now?
This is beyond BS! HP machines are of poor quality and often have proprietary hardware making fru's hard to find or expensive. IBM sold there share over to lenovo, a company I had never even heard of before hand. I have had a handful of lenovo machines that have go down due to hardware failure too. Now Dell is in the same mix.

You know, maybe it isn't the workers who are over paid and lazy, maybe its the CEO's and industry leaders who are too fat from stuffing cash down their fat-arses and too lazy/stupid to invent more sophisticated methods of producing and shipping products.

So instead they opt for the old method; finding some poor shmo to do it for less and step over their own workers in the process for another buck to stuff their faces with.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

F@#$ Dell, F@#$ them up their stupid arses.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
i have never bought a dell and I'm never going to. i could build (and i have researched this thoroughly) a high end - crysis killing - gaming system for around $1300 not including postage thats faster than a $2000 Dell. I mean seriously, is it that hard to build your own computer? Why do people consistently buy these highly overpriced "custom built - yea right complete BS...) desktops? I rest my case.

EYE

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Sadly not anybody can build their computers or are interested in, how would you build a laptop V3NOM???

G

Many consumer purchases now are often driven by looks, rather than system specifications

spot on.

G

guys...stop complaining....its a global thing....buy what you like from now on and enjoy before you die....the world is changing....face it

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
This is why we need a government policy to tax foreign outsourcing as soon as possible.

Sure, its good for Dell to outsource. It cuts costs. But its bad for the community, and builds technology in the overseas places the labor is outsourced to. Which sounds good, but causes competition with our own labor force.... which is bad (for us). Eventually, imitation companies rise adding foreign competition for Dell. Which, is bad for the CEO types too.

I haven't even got into what outsourcing does to QUALITY.

If a company wants to act like a multinational, they shouldn't be treated like an American business. Fuck Dell.

G

It's just American to invest in the American economy any more That is why as Americans we are happy to buy disposable items that cost less and are of inferior quality, and now it appears that last of Americans computer manufacturing is also going overseas. You all whine but do nothing about it but here in America we cannot compete with foreign imports when the makers of said imports make in a year what an American will make in a week. And that is the cost of living in America. I run a small American assembling computers and laptops and pay my employees more than the average pay rate I cannot compete with Dell in the low end range of computers even the mid range is a stretch but that I can do just to break even and keep people busy. But the point is I sell only product assembled or manufactured in America but I will likely have to change that within the next 2 years just to keep my doors open. People just keep buying foreign goods from Walmart HP and and others then WHINE that the economy is bad. The economy is bad because you buy this crap form foreign labor forces and put nothing back in the American economy. So start with looking at yourselves then make a plan to invest here instead of overseas. Just think about when you are talking to tech support or account management and have to talk with someone you cannot understand. Buy American Invest American and demand better service with the dollars you earn. And stop voting for rich butt holes who steal your children's future.

phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
WTF sick of this stuff, woot now we get poorer quality computers and poorer communitys. wooooooooo... Don't hand out american jobs to other natins when america needs those jobs.

G

The man who says he runs a computer assembly plant. you know you really have it dead on. how as americans can we give away all our money to some one who pays slave wages. thats like promoting dictators that force there people into isolation camps and feed them once a week. If they dont do what the government asks. seriously there are so many things wrong with the poor giving there money and jobs to people who care less about america lead alone our government and they are the ones allowing this to happen its not oil thats killing us its the frogine imports that are making it hard for any company to stay in business ... there are barely any manufacturing jobs left in the united states baring nitche markets. the sad thing is some company's say made in america but the parts were imported from other markets other than our own and just because they go through a distrabution facility in america makes them (made in america) i know this because i work for a place that has these practices. its wide spread kinda like HP outsorceing to Foxx Conn to build there Buisness PC's here in indiana ...(they pay 9.35hr to start) but takes up to 2 years to get hired through temp services. and no raise between that time... people dont want to pay a decent wage any more they are so cheap. and the government makes no effort to stop this kind of exchange of wealth the energy and oil markets are higher not just because of demand but because we hand over the vast majority of our money to over seas markets. and not back to the economy just like exiled one said

G

I agree with the last few of the comments, where it was stated that the US has become more of a "Throw Away Economy" than any other nation in
the world. Back to the conversation, car manufacturers for an example, GM, and Ford. Half Designed here in the US and half in Europe. Built
from parts in other nations, assembled somewhere else or Mexico. Lame. Hyundai, Honda, Toyota are designed in Japan, and manufactured here in the US. My 2006 Tiburon was manufactured here in the US and my parents Camery, and HighLander were built here as well. My POS Ford Ranger built in Mexico, and fell apart as soon as it hit 39k. Yes, more of our jobs are being outsourced faster than they are coming in, and we can only hope that things can look up instead of down since the US un-employment rate has hit an all time high this year. But then again, many of the "groups" we have here have been accustomed to being spoonfed and wont get out and get a job where it drains our nation on all kinds of resources, when that money could be spend somewhere else. It's just the way things are going, I wont ever buy a Dell, if you want to support our nation your right, we will have to buy more expensive machines. But face it, we DONT want to spend more money on something when we can get it from a company like Dell for hundreds less, at least the majority of the nation will think like that.

"ExiledOne --> People just keep buying foreign goods from Walmart HP and and others then WHINE that the economy is bad. The economy is bad because you buy this crap form foreign labor forces and put nothing back in the American economy. So start with looking at yourselves then make a plan to invest here instead of overseas. Just think about when you are talking to tech support or account management and have to talk with someone you cannot understand."

Nothing WE really can do, when were against all odds on penny pinchers who dont see the whole story.

Sigh.

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
so does this affect alienware? i mean alienware pc's are like even more expensive than dell but i hear they make quality stuff and have good tech support but if they go to pot along with dell there arint many places a person could get a half-way decent computer.

G

Yep. This move doesn't surprise me one bit. It is only about the shareholders and those executive bonuses. The vast majority of the American population is just plain stupid. TBO. It is getting REALLY hard to find everyday products that are made in America anymore. I was looking at my box of Kellogg's Corn Flakes and those are now made in Canada. There is absolutely NO WAY I could build a computer with parts made in the USA -- except maybe the case.

The ONLY sure way to support the local economy is to spend all your free cash on Jack Daniel's and hookers. LOL

xyster

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
good reply jevan64. lol. Dell is still making profits, quite a lot too, but it is 'declining', which is a scary thing for stockholders and CEOs.

since Dell is looking to increase profits, not save the consumer more money, it doesn't look like americans has much to look forward too from this all.

Dell's market recently is not the American market, but a growing asian market also. Ive heard over 50% of it.

As for comments on penny-pinchers -- a lot of the US are forced to be penny-pinchers these days. I wonder if a greater equality among the incomes in the US would make a difference though?

Its hard to really blame Dell, as its on a world level, and Dell isn't some home business anymore. Eventually the world will balance out economy wise, possibly with a still weaker US economy to follow and a stronger asian economy- Thats seems to be the only point we will stop loosing jobs to the rest of the developing world-- when our workforce equals theres.

Is taxing trade really a long term solution? It might do more longterm harm. The US is forced to keep innovating this way, and competing, otherwise it will just rot away in comparison. What America really needs to be doing to help fight this is invest in schools, technology, and research, when in fact, it seems to be doing the opposite these days.

From a world and humanity point of view, this could all be great news. The world is developing. Powers are being balanced. maybe the US will give up its 'throw away economy' tendencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.