Dell Tries to Help Customers with Misleading GPU Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Line this dude, along with the new idiot in charge of Netflix, up so I can repeatedly kick them in the balls.

Just throw the guy in jail for 3 months - I'm seriously sick and tired of these lying bastards.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Someone probably asked "what's the difference between standard and high-end graphics", and someone else must have answered: the image is better.

And so this image was created.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Same thing happened with Apple when it showed on its commercials the iPhone in fast forward, supposedly in normal usage, misleading the customers. When people complained about it and threatened to take them to court they apologised and removed the ad. Sure at the bottom it said "video for illustrative purposes", but in font size 2 you could only read it with a telescope from 3 meters away...

andy_newton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
[citation][nom]pwnorbpwnd[/nom]Sad thing is, alot of companies mislead the general consumer that USUALLY is not correctly informed on what they are buying.[/citation]

For instance: the new HP Envy. It's brings elegant & honest design. Unlike those uncreative liars at Apple who copy HP Envy's design.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Andy_Newton[/nom]For instance: the new HP Envy. It's brings elegant & honest design. Unlike those uncreative liars at Apple who copy HP Envy's design.[/citation]

[citation][nom]Andy_Newton[/nom]Dell is averagely $800 cheaper than macbook pros. No wonder it comes with GPU that gives blurry screens.[/citation]

...I read both and couldn't believe it was from the same person :p

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009

I have an old 512KB Cirrus Logic ISA card at home. It wouldn't be able to even draw a Windows desktop today, but it still gives me as sharp image as with the most expensive videocard today... unless you got an analog screen and a bad videocable you won't see any blurry image with a modern videocard and DVI/HDMI/DP since it's a digital signal, the only thing that happens with a bad cable is signal loss.

A cheaper videocard won't give you a more washed out image, only a slower rendering rate at games and most intensive desktop applications.

These ads are in my experience written by idiots that couldn't tell the difference between a computer and a fridge, and they are put in a position to make an ad that guides the unknowning consumer to get the best product for their needs...

It's sad really.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]Line this dude, along with the new idiot in charge of Netflix, up so I can repeatedly kick them in the balls. Just throw the guy in jail for 3 months - I'm seriously sick and tired of these lying bastards.[/citation]
except it isn't a lying bastard. It is a advertising person who knows nothing about computers. Not many companies get the engineers involved in anything other than engineering work. Lay off the nerd rage for a minute and think about it.

ppl must buy the pc with the sharper display cuz it is better. my heart goes out to dell the awesome company who is helping the customer using photos to demonstrate how a blurry display is the proof of weaker system. if anyone thinks that the left one is not as weak as dell wants you to believe, you're thinking about it wrong!
the irony is in thy name, dell 'Opti'plex.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
they couldnt show a game like crysis, on lowest, and than on highest setting?

so you know, crysis is the only game i know of that has such a huge difference between lowest setting and the highest, others add a bit of detail, but crysis is basically a different game.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]nordlead[/nom]except it isn't a lying bastard. It is a advertising person who knows nothing about computers. Not many companies get the engineers involved in anything other than engineering work. Lay off the nerd rage for a minute and think about it.[/citation]
What kind of business doesn't review their own advertisements? I get that they usually hire some 3rd party, but for you to not actually review what bullshit they tried pulling, is beyond unacceptable.

Dell should've assigned competent people to actually validate these claims - because any idiot could've caught Waldo on this one.

Seriously, this is how it should go: 1.) Hey, make some advisement's for us Mr. 3rd party. 2.) Awesome - now let Dave who is the run of the mill tech around here see how this sizes up to reality. 3.) What's that?! Dave said that you have no clue what you're talking about, and are purposely trying to deceive those without a brain.

It would've taken Dave, the run of the mill tech guy 5 seconds to spot this BS out. You're telling me they don't have the time, or money to pay someone who knows what they're talking about, to validate this sort of stuff?

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Dell do nothing to solve confusion. don't they even get "special" models of GPU's made for them on occasion? I'm thinking like the way the 9600 had many different variations of "gs" with different memory and shader combinations that where in that family. Heck their page bases their GPU options on memory size! WTF? 1GB HD4650 with DDR2 is not faster than a 512mb HD4650 with DDR3 for example. Its easy to load a card up with slower memory and pretend that size matters. That doesnt help, alol you need is a general "first digit is generation, second digit is performance" then a link to notebookcheck.net

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]they couldnt show a game like crysis, on lowest, and than on highest setting? so you know, crysis is the only game i know of that has such a huge difference between lowest setting and the highest, others add a bit of detail, but crysis is basically a different game.[/citation]

there are lots of games which vary greatly between the high and low settings

oxiide

Distinguished
[citation][nom]nordlead[/nom]except it isn't a lying bastard. It is a advertising person who knows nothing about computers. Not many companies get the engineers involved in anything other than engineering work. Lay off the nerd rage for a minute and think about it.[/citation]

Its not nerd rage, this industry goes out of its way to keep average computer buyers mislead about their products (or at least do nothing to discourage misconceptions) and has for years, though Dell is far from the worst offender. If its an honest mistake, then its incompetence. The idea that an advertiser won't step back for a moment, look at their work, and wonder "Is it even true?" is inexcusable.

bucknutty

Distinguished
So the options on that model Dell are a HD6350? What the heck is that, like a $10 video card, They dont even sell those on line? Or you can go big time and get dual HD6450s? Whats the point of that? What is the logic behind taking 2 of the slowest gpus AMD currently makes and putting them in Crossfire, even if you foud CF 4 of them you still could not play a modern game. Why not go with a single 6570 or something?
What am I missing? Is the optiplex a mini case or a low profile or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.