Dell Ultrasharp 27 vs Asus 27 2560x1440

Solution
I meant the dell would be better if you're only going to use it for light gaming(otherwise the asus would be better, though an hp zr2740w is better still).

The asus may have flicker because it uses PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to dim the backlight, meaning the it's on 100% of the time at full brightness and 50% of the time when it's at 50% brightness. I think it uses 240hz for the backlighting so at 50% brightness it will flicker at 120hz. You need to get below 80 for it to become noticeable.

As for the calibration, I've heard (from tft-central) that it doesn't have a good default setup.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
They both have their downsides. The dell has more input lag, and the asus may flicker a little when it's brightness isn't full, and it's more likely to need calibration.

If you're using it for graphic work, and light gaming go with the dell. If you're using it for twitch gaming, go with something else.

JCreags

Honorable
May 14, 2013

why would the dell be better for light gaming if it has more input lag and slower response time? and why will the asus flciker and need calibration?

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
I meant the dell would be better if you're only going to use it for light gaming(otherwise the asus would be better, though an hp zr2740w is better still).

The asus may have flicker because it uses PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to dim the backlight, meaning the it's on 100% of the time at full brightness and 50% of the time when it's at 50% brightness. I think it uses 240hz for the backlighting so at 50% brightness it will flicker at 120hz. You need to get below 80 for it to become noticeable.

As for the calibration, I've heard (from tft-central) that it doesn't have a good default setup.

Solution