Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet Now Available for Pre-Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I haven't used windows 8/8.1--but what's with all of these x86 tablets only coming with 2GB of RAM? ASUS announced their T100--also an 8.1 tablet with baytrail, and also 2GB of RAM. I know at around this price point, you're not going to get a ton of power, but man, the difference between 2GB and 4GB of RAM on modern systems is noticeable.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
True Chem. I'm iffy on a full Windows 8 tablet with under 2gb of RAM - seems to be a guarantee for a system that chugs - but all of these tablets are in a price range where even Android tablets don't tend to have more than 2gb of RAM. One would hope they tailored the hardware to the software rather than the hardware to the price point, but I'm not sure that's the case.

Ultimately, these will work, and you'll be able to perform a lot of less intensive functions with only mildly irritating slowdown, but people who want to use these types of tablets like they'd use a regular PC will find they experience problematic. Mobile oriented processor, limited RAM, low price, and you get what you pay for.

allenpan

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
32 bit atom, 2GB per channel, max they can go is 2GB+1GB, however, the additional 1B requires additional tracing and complicated the 4 layer pcb design , In other word, not cheap enough/profit enough

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
If these Atom Windows Tabs wanted to differentiate from ARM units, dual channel memory would be a good start.
At least have a slot to add memory to get to 4GB whether single or dual channel.
An easily replaceable battery would be good too.
I know the focus is on battery life, so the configurations get limited.

jarred125

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
I had one on order, but I just canceled it. I have too much concern around the low amount of RAM as well. While the price is "great" .. I just don't see it filling a gap in my work flow even at that price.

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
I have one of the previous generation Asus models sitting on my desk, and have given several to my workers. The older models were dual core Atoms, also with 2 GB ram. My experience with these models is that they run very well. Win 8 is very efficient on lower level hardware, and the performance is quick and fluid. The newer generation models with a quad core processor should perform even better. Keep in mind that these are tablets. Unlike on a desktop, tablet users generally are not heavily multitasking, so 2 GB should be fine.

g-unit1111

Titan

These devices aren't meant to handle huge workloads. The Bay Trail processors are not meant for Photoshop and AutoCAD or even heavy duty game playing. They're meant more for basic tasks like movie watching, web browsing, and MS Office, which is why they have small amounts of RAM.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I dunno...I kinda think that the argument "it's a tablet..." is a cop out if that tablet can run standard x86 desktop apps. In that case, it should be an x86 machine that can operate in tablet mode. No need to sacrifice multitasking IMO, but I also see the counter-argument of keeping costs down. It's just a shame when RAM is so cheap.

EdRyan

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
This is the size of a Kindle. It's one step up from a phablet. Just because you *can* run Photoshop does mean that you should. At this screen size and resolution the desktop is nearly impossible to navigate by touch. This is for running WinRT apps by touch and taking some notes. If that's not what you want to do, then this is the wrong device. You want one of the Haswell iCore tablets like the Surface Pro 2 or Sony Tap 11.

g-unit1111

Titan

But this isn't Windows RT either - it's a real, full installation of Windows 8.1. I do agree that the Surface Pro is a better device, but it's also 3 times the price just for the entry level model.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I suppose the success or otherwise of this product, as well as the various clones of the 8" format, will greatly depend on your perception of the terminology used - "very competitive price point" could easily be said as "cheap" with all the negatives that come with it.

g-unit1111

Titan

I've been debating between the Dell Venue and the new iPad Mini - the Mini has a great display but the price tag is a bit on the ridiculous side. The 64GB Venue is literally 1/2 the cost of a new iPad Air and significantly cheaper than the equivalent Mini.

Unfortunately the non D Z3000 series SOC’s are being limited by windows 8/ 8.1. The Z3000 series supports 64bit operation but windows only supports connected standby on 32 bit versions connected standby will only become available in 64 bit windows in 2014. So OEMs are only producing 32bit tablets. The rumor is that Win 9 will be a lighter more portable operating system that would be better suited for tablets than win 8/ 8.1, but it is also rumored that win 9 will be available in only a 64bit version leaving all of these first release of bay trail tables with no upgrade path to a potentially lighter more suitable operating system (windows 9). I really want to get a Venue 11 pro with a Z3770 SOC but I feel that it will likely be crippled with 2GB ram no driver support for upgrading to 64bit when connected standby becomes available. It would be nice if they build it and release it stating that they will provide drivers and support upgrading to a 64bit OS once connected standby becomes available.

RedundantInk

Sep 15, 2012

Limitations of the specific Bay Trail SoC aside, Windows 8 is remarkably efficient with its memory usage and the tablet's small screen size and low price tag should make it clear that it's not intended for any particularly demanding use.

funkdat

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
The 25th shipping time frame has already passed. I bought one of these and when I bought it they told me the shipping ETA was Oct 24th. Now I contact their support and they tell me Nov. 1st or later. Not too happy about this as I needed the tablet by Nov. 1 for a trap. That will be the last time I buy from Dell.

daylight

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
My local Walmart is going to have the Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet on 10/27. If you want to try the tablet first, you can check with your local Walmart to see whether they have it.

dimensioncs

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
Perhaps you should wait for the Dell Venue 11 pro? Bigger screen and higher spec options including i3 and i5. Due for release in the UK November 7th - can't wait!!

Status
Not open for further replies.