[SOLVED] Dell Vostro 260 CPU upgrade

Nov 14, 2020
Hello all. I'm new to the building/gaming world. I have a Dell Vostro 260, with a Celeron G460, that I want to turn into a budget gamer. I'm already upgrading the PSU to a 500w (just because the old one is dead), and adding more ram (only came with 2gb). I want to upgrade the cpu, and add a graphics card. My immediate question is, can I jump to a Core I7, from the Celeron. According to cpu-upgrade.com (https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Celeron_Dual-Core/G460.html), the I7 2600/k/s, and the 2700k, all have a high percentage of compatibility. Can anyone offer up some advise?

The less pressing question is, will a GeForce GTX 1650 mini itx (like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-G...-/264301677588?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292) work for this setup? I picked one of these up for $50 locally, so I'll use it somewhere, if it doesn't.

Solution
It usually can be found more easily a proper support list. It seems like back in time the H61 chipset on your motherboard has been marked as fine with i7-2600k and i7-3770k, but the info for i7-2700k is kinda limited. With your H61 Chipset you cannot overclock anyway, so i7-2600 seems an OK upgrade, it has just 100 MHz lower frequency than the i7-2700k. Despite of the lack of info, it should work. You 'd better update your BIOS to the latest version before putting out the Celeron anyway:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-bg/product-support/product/vostro-260/drivers
(Operating system -> bios)
I don't think that the motherboard manifacturer has been so bad that it wouldn't work with the 2700k, but it's most likely...
It usually can be found more easily a proper support list. It seems like back in time the H61 chipset on your motherboard has been marked as fine with i7-2600k and i7-3770k, but the info for i7-2700k is kinda limited. With your H61 Chipset you cannot overclock anyway, so i7-2600 seems an OK upgrade, it has just 100 MHz lower frequency than the i7-2700k. Despite of the lack of info, it should work. You 'd better update your BIOS to the latest version before putting out the Celeron anyway:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-bg/product-support/product/vostro-260/drivers
I don't think that the motherboard manifacturer has been so bad that it wouldn't work with the 2700k, but it's most likely significantly more expensive than an i7-2600, and you're going to say whether the extra money'd justify the 0.1 GHz difference or not. You cannot overclock in this situation and your benefits 'd be low and it seems worth skipping this as k-cpus tend to be more expensive.

You 'd probably feel better with a newer system. Socket 1150 & 1151 have some, more or less, better options that may justify their price, e.g. an i5-9100F or 9400F can do you most times a better job than any cpu that works with ddr3, though the 9100F has no hyperthreading.
Also keep in mind these 4+core processors need a better cpu cooler than just the stock ones, and most likely your current cooler is stock with the Celeron there.
A 212 Evo or a similar version of Coolermaster with thermal paste MX-4 should cover this fully in non-overclocked systems.
You can try the i7-2600/i7-2700k or whatever if there is a really good deal, though, at least you'd skip the little headaches of changing the motherboard along with the new cpu, and, if going for a ddr4-system, the ram. But keep in mind big upgrades often are not really worth in the old systems. Just seeing the still disastrous pricings of i7-4790k and core2quad q9650 nowadays...at least for ur socket cpus might be cheaper depending also on where you buy from.

As for the GTX 1650, it should work fine, just as how a 1050 Ti would, in the terms of compatibility. Socket 1156 is a bit riskier. You use pciE 2.0 and the 1650 is with 3.0, this just producing a minimal bottleneck.

Last edited:
Solution
Nov 14, 2020
I don't think that the motherboard manifacturer has been so bad that it wouldn't work with the 2700k, but it's most likely significantly more expensive than an i7-2600, and you're going to say whether the extra money'd justify the 0.1 GHz difference or not. You cannot overclock in this situation and your benefits 'd be low and it seems worth skipping this as k-cpus tend to be more expensive.

You 'd probably feel better with a newer system. Socket 1150 & 1151 have some, more or less, better options that may justify their price, e.g. an i5-9100F or 9400F can do you most times a better job than any cpu that works with ddr3, though the 9100F has no hyperthreading.
Also keep in mind these 4+core processors need a better cpu cooler than just the stock ones, and most likely your current cooler is stock with the Celeron there.
A 212 Evo or a similar version of Coolermaster with thermal paste MX-4 should cover this fully in non-overclocked systems.
You can try the i7-2600/i7-2700k or whatever if there is a really good deal, though, at least you'd skip the little headaches of changing the motherboard along with the new cpu, and, if going for a ddr4-system, the ram. But keep in mind big upgrades often are not really worth in the old systems. Just seeing the still disastrous pricings of i7-4790k and core2quad q9650 nowadays...at least for ur socket cpus might be cheaper depending also on where you buy from.

As for the GTX 1650, it should work fine, just as how a 1050 Ti would, in the terms of compatibility. Socket 1156 is a bit riskier. You use pciE 2.0 and the 1650 is with 3.0, this just producing a minimal bottleneck.
Wow! Thanks for all of the info. Our I didn't have this Vostro just lying around, I probably would be going a while different route. Thanks again!

Nov 14, 2020

One more question. I just stumbled across a 3770 for what I was looking to pay for the 2600/2700k. That will work with this motherboard, right?

While the i7-2600 has been tried to work, it's a bit more complicated with the 3rd gen. processors, where the 3770 belongs to. The chipset H61 itself is fine, but this is messier when it comes to generation support of the motherboard. I recall of some motherboards, maybe from HP & Dell, that were announced as working with gen. 2, but nothing was there for gen. 3 and with similar motherboards to yours there were some cases where a simplier i5 k-processor from gen.3 hasn't worked. So here the risk is higher.
The difference between i7-2600 and 3770 is limited anyway, so why don't you just go for it instead?

Reactions: Porky06
Nov 14, 2020
While the i7-2600 has been tried to work, it's a bit more complicated with the 3rd gen. processors, where the 3770 belongs to. The chipset H61 itself is fine, but this is messier when it comes to generation support of the motherboard. I recall of some motherboards, maybe from HP & Dell, that were announced as working with gen. 2, but nothing was there for gen. 3 and with similar motherboards to yours there were some cases where a simplier i5 k-processor from gen.3 hasn't worked. So here the risk is higher.
The difference between i7-2600 and 3770 is limited anyway, so why don't you just go for it instead?
Thanks again! Picked up a 2600 and some random parts for $50, so that's the route I'll go.

Reactions: AJNameS