Dell Warned Ballmer Not To Use Windows RT Branding

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I built a new computer for an older person in my family and installed Win 8 for 2 reasons: it's more secure, and I knew he would like it better than XP. And, he does; the Win 8 UI puts these nice squares/rectangles in front of him that he can one-click to get right into his email, Skydrive, a search engine - anything he usually does is right there. Not like it was hard before, but this guy needs all the help he can get, and Win 8's interface is better for him.

One of the things this article does is gloss over what you CAN do on RT that works the same as regular Windows; it's not an entirely separate beast, and it will become closer to the full-blown Windows as time moves on. Microsoft should make it as clear as possible that RT won't run everything Windows, but I don't think they did a bad thing here.

jean 1990

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Ballmer needs to listen to Dell, one of my colleague today changed his mind on getting a surfaceRT at boxing day and get an ipad instead. Before that, he drools so much with surface 'coz he thinks metro is pretty and completely different UI than other tablets. That is until his friend warned him about "virus" in anything named "windows".
I believe there are many case like that, it will hurt surfaceRT sales badly. just drop the windows brand on their ARM devices already, not everyone is tech-savvy and know the different between arm and x86.

[citation][nom]jean 1990[/nom]Ballmer needs to listen to Dell, one of my colleague today changed his mind on getting a surfaceRT at boxing day and get an ipad instead. Before that, he drools so much with surface 'coz he thinks metro is pretty and completely different UI than other tablets. That is until his friend warned him about "virus" in anything named "windows".I believe there are many case like that, it will hurt surfaceRT sales badly. just drop the windows brand on their ARM devices already, not everyone is tech-savvy and know the different between arm and x86.[/citation]
Unless Windows RT becomes a huge success, it is more likely the iPad will have virus problems than Windows Rt.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]so dell agrees that the windows branding would be used on phones, but not tabletsI don't see any consumers buying windows phones thinking they would run x86 windows programs[/citation]

Gosh, you're oblivious. Does Windows Phone have a desktop mode? Does it look like their desktop counterpart? Does it?

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]navalweaponsofficer[/nom]it probably should have been branded as Windows Tablet 8[/citation]
No...people would have expected an x86-compatible experience.

I've not taken much interest Surface. What's it gonna do better than a Note II?

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]No...people would have expected an x86-compatible experience.I've not taken much interest Surface. What's it gonna do better than a Note II?[/citation]

How do you figure? as someone stated above know one expects their Windows Phone 8 to run x86.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom] If we wanted to be force fed DRM we would be using Apple computers.[/citation]HELL NO. Crappy in hardware is much worst than crappy in software.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]navalweaponsofficer[/nom]How do you figure? as someone stated above know one expects their Windows Phone 8 to run x86.[/citation]
If they were to call it Windows Tablet 8. ...the post I was responding to.

G

Metro/BoB/Vista/ME Ballmer can really pinch off the most disgusting terds the software world has ever seen!
How he remains at the control of the Rudder while he steers the M$ ship stright towards the rocks! Everythng Ballmer does attracts more flys than followers, and yet he is still in control! Windows 7 is going to have a good long life! To bad for the PC sales this season, but if many of the OEMs want to stay in the business, they had better get more PC loaded with windows 7, and put the 8 in the rear view mirrior!

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]If they were to call it Windows Tablet 8. ...the post I was responding to.[/citation]
your comment still makes no sense.

"Windows Phone 8" = ARM no one expects it to run x86
Windows RT which could have been named "Windows Tablet 8" = ARM. If no one expected their phone to run x86 why would they expect this?
"Windows 8" which can be installed on a desktop, laptop netbook or a tablet. or whatever form factor the manufacture chooses as long as it is x86/x64.

Windows RT will never push into the nettop market at least in the US and will be used almost exclusively on tablets. But with the Atom SOC's hitting the street their is really no need for RT anyway.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Ballmer needs to go. x86 compatibility is important, but Windows 8 is not. Thanks to Microsoft I've now had to spend hours reinstalling my parents' new ultrabook with a copy of Windows 7. I told them to try Windows 8. Simple things like closing and navigating between Metro apps was too intuitive. The lack of POP3 support in the official mail app is what turned out to be the deal-breaker though.

Windows 8, Windows RT, Metro...Microsoft sure has lost a lot of that positive attitude I developed after installing and enjoying Windows 7. By trying to chase after Apple and Google's market Microsoft may have just done irreparable damage to their existing customer and OEM base.

chiefbox

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Windows RT (or Surface RT) should have been made for the mobile/tablet market ONLY! But this is the result of a non-visionary leadership that is panicking and over reacted by "re-imagining" Windows.

[citation][nom]chiefbox[/nom]Windows RT (or Surface RT) should have been made for the mobile/tablet market ONLY! But this is the result of a non-visionary leadership that is panicking and over reacted by "re-imagining" Windows.[/citation]
It is. I think you are confused.

Windows RT is not Windows 8. The UI is the same, but it runs ARM processors only. Currently ONLY tablets have Windows RT.

[citation][nom]navalweaponsofficer[/nom]Windows RT which could have been named "Windows Tablet 8" = ARM.[/citation]
That would also be confusing, as there are x86 tablets as well, with exactly the same UI. The Surface Pro is an i5 processor, and there are, or going to be many Atom based tablets as well.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Steve Ballmer insist on a disaster to happens. Congrats. A windows tablet which can't run windows app. What a great marketing idea. We will see Ballmer out as CEO soon.

Windows RT= REAL TROUBLE!!! :D

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]navalweaponsofficer[/nom]your comment still makes no sense."Windows Phone 8" = ARM no one expects it to run x86Windows RT which could have been named "Windows Tablet 8" = ARM. If no one expected their phone to run x86 why would they expect this? "Windows 8" which can be installed on a desktop, laptop netbook or a tablet. or whatever form factor the manufacture chooses as long as it is x86/x64.Windows RT will never push into the nettop market at least in the US and will be used almost exclusively on tablets. But with the Atom SOC's hitting the street their is really no need for RT anyway.[/citation]
The Windows name should not even be used in the first place. Maybe they can call it DOS tablet. I am sure it'll selll by the zillions based on nostalgia alone...:D

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was going to buy more stock in touch screen cleaners, but when I saw Windows 8, I realized all my customers would be Apple only. Oh wait that still works well for me :)

Ballmer should have shot himself in the head a long time ago ... but it's too late now, all the smart devs at Microsoft have moved on to other startup companies and/or retired.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Double poster, did you post from a Win8 device? Sorry couldn't resist.

Hopefully most of you realize the guy who headed up Windows 8 development is now GONE, no longer an employee with Microsoft ... his name is Steven Sinofsky ... Google his name and you'll see. He failed, he left or got fired, pick whatever you want to believe, but it doesn't change the fact that the guy (Steve Sinofsky) that headed the Windows 8 design/development is now gone.

Just look at the "real sales" data and Win8 has been a HUGE flop, MUCH worse that Vista.

The real problem is that if Ballmer resigns, who's qualified to take his job?? All the "tech" (aka the smart developers with vision) have long since left Microsoft (some even working for Apple now) ... Microsoft is an empty husk of a company with lots of "manager/executive" but no one left to do the "real thinking".

halcyon

Splendid
^V8Venom Should we be blessed with Balmer's resignation surely the Gods would bring Bill Gates back for a stint of charity to Microsoft and the Earth would continue to orbit the Sun and life as we know it would continue...maybe even improve.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]^V8Venom Should we be blessed with Balmer's resignation surely the Gods would bring Bill Gates back for a stint of charity to Microsoft and the Earth would continue to orbit the Sun and life as we know it would continue...maybe even improve.[/citation]
Bill Gates has said many, many times that he's not coming back to Microsoft and while it would be nice to see him come back if Ballmer leaves (which I hope to God he does) it's not going to happen. He has a completely new life now working with his foundation and being a philanthropist and from the interviews I've seen he's very content with his new life. Remember that Ballmer is Gates's unfortunate friend as well. As much as we may hate Ballmer and Windows 8, Gates may not.

Status
Not open for further replies.