Dell windows 7 factory restore after black screen

Freedpenguin

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hi I have a Dell system studio slim desktop, I used the "reinstallation DVD, windows 7 home premium 64-bit" disk to reinstall.
After the reinstallation, when it automatically reboots, the screen starts up where I can press F2 or F12 for boot options but after that and windows logo, it stays on a black screen.

For a little background history, the desktop had a power supply die and I bought and added a new PSU. After that it worked until viruses on my computer forced me to reinstall windows. Then this problem!
Please help! I have to write a paper!!!

There is a possibility that the virus is still on the HDD. Formatting the drive does not actually erase it, it just marks the sectors as empty, ready to be re-written.
First, make sure the new PSU is plugged in where it is needed. Ensure the CPU's heatsink did not get displaced/nudged during fiddling with the mobo. It sometimes happens; you can enter the BIOS and monitor the temps for a while there.
If it looks stable, then on to the next step:
Use a different system to download and burn a bootable CD with Killdisk; you can Google it and download the image, then burn it on a CD.
boot your Dell, insert Killdisk CD, reboot, select first boot device the CD/DVD rom, reboot. It should launch the killdisk utility. Navigate to the free erase utility, select your entire HDD (if you have multiple partitions, you can select the "root" of them, which is the entire HDD) and erase it as instructed in the wizard. It will take a while, according to HDD's size. Leave it alone until finished.
You have now a brand "new" HDD. Proceed to remove the Killdisk CD, insert Windows DVD and go ahead with the installation.
Good luck and let us know if additional help needed.
Good luck

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
So this "reinstallation" disk is an actual Windows 7 install DVD, or rather a recovery type of DVD which copies/extracts the contents of an image file to the disk drive?

Can you go into Safe Mode (press F8 during bootup)?

Freedpenguin

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Thank you I will try this!

Freedpenguin

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

I have the option to go to the option menu when I press f8 but safe mode errors as it states I have to set up windows before I can access safe mode.

As to the type of disk I'm not sure. The quotes I used in the OP was quoted off of what was written on the disk

r2ad

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
I'm seeing something similar on a dell laptop D630. After booting, just before I would expect the login user icons to show, the screen remains black and only a working cursor is present. Hard disk activity stops.
I'm tending to think the cause of it was a windows patch since I was able to revert to a recovery point and all worked well until after being on the network for a bit and new windows patches came down. I was able to get into safe mode by pressing F8 and holding after the Dell logo came up.
I also did a log report which created a ntbtlog.txt in the windows directory.
The last entries were:
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\scfilter.sys
Did not load driver @scrawpdo.inf,%scrawpdodevicename%;Smart card filter driver

I'll continue to investigate and see if I can prevent whatever patch (assuming that's the issue) from taking hold. I'll also make sure that the most recent dell drivers are loaded......
Well, after making recovery points and then slowing manually adding "important" patches...It seems that the problem went away. Not sure exactly what it was. I turned back on automatic updates from Microsoft.
Hopefully this issue will not come back. If it does, at least I have a good recovery point.