Review Dell XPS 17 (9710) Review: Firing on All Cylinders

Jul 22, 2021
Yeah but with connected standby Dell have screwed up sleep mode so shutting the lid no longer turns off the fans (S3 mode) meaning you have to shut it down fully or it will cook itself in your bag.
All new Dells are useless as laptops in that regard

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
To me, this is really expensive and from the hardware you get I think it's somewhat underwhelming.

I seen some laptops with the i7 11370H (35w) with a 3060 for less than half the price.

Edit: I just realized the 11370H is 4 cores while the 11800H is 8. Actually this laptop doesn't seem that bad now

Last edited:

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Customers are already reporting that wobbly, loose trackpads continue to be a problem, as well as the hinge not closing all the way. Dell not only has bad QC, they fundamentally just don't care about customers if they are willing to let issues like these plague gen after gen.

rkallby

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2013
Yeah but with connected standby Dell have screwed up sleep mode so shutting the lid no longer turns off the fans (S3 mode) meaning you have to shut it down fully or it will cook itself in your bag.
All new Dells are useless as laptops in that regard
My Dell 9710 did that very thing today. Must have put it into standby instead of shutdown/laptop didn't shutdown all the way before I closed it. Threw it in my bag to go workout. Come back to my locker about 45 mins later and the fans are at full tilt 100% and the laptop was literally so hot I couldn't pick it up bare handed. Had to use my shirt just to open it up and power it down. :(

Oct 9, 2021
Just my $0.02. (why's it a penny for your thoughts but you have to put your 2 cents in? someone's making a penny!!) I had the previous version XPS 17 9700 at my previous job and it was the best laptop I've ever owned, and I've had a wide array of Dell, Lenovo and HP over the last 15+ years. I was looking at this Dell XPS 17 9710 model compared to a Lenovo P17 model with similar specs, but the Lenovo is so much more built like a big tank and was well over $1000 more expensive. My primary boot OS is Linux (typically Fedora) so that's small nit on the Dell's right now as Dell doesn't release Linux drivers for all of their laptops, only a very very small special few. But the Linux world catches up fast so the audio and touchpad issues are improving quickly, so that's not a showstopper for me. The Lenovo's don't have those issues as they're WAY ahead on Linux support for their gear. But the massive size of the Lenovo P17, their massive power brick required, the not-so-great array of ports (really needs more USB-C Thunderbolt) and very high cost, push me back to my favorite laptop a Dell XPS 17.

Reactions: cuvtixo

cuvtixo

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
$3000 laptop and doesn't even ship with Windows 10 Pro...
It's meant for Linux, as it should be! A token license for Windows 10 for a VM is adequate, no reason to jump on the 11 bandwagon.

PS Yeah, I was saying stuff like this all the way back in 1998. If you're annoyed, I'm glad. Finally, desktop linux is the best choice for the best laptop available. ;)

Last edited: