Question Dell XPS 720 BTX Motherboard Replacement?

Oct 16, 2023
I have an old XPS 720 Dell computer. The motherboard is broken and I'm looking to replace it with the same motherboard or anything that will fit/work, really.

From the research I've done and what little I know so far it appears to use BTX form motherboards that aren't really being made anymore. Do I need to use the exact same, or can any BTX motherboard do?

Solution
BTX is not a common form factor, mainly reserved for OEMs like Dell. Your best bet to get the system back up and running is to get the same motherboard off eBay or other place which sells used parts.
Oct 16, 2023
After doing some digging, I was only able to find replacement motherboards of the same model for upwards of $400, which is wayy out of my budget.

What problems would I run into if I tried to replace it with other BTX form factor motherboards?

I see several options that look like possibilities, but I'm not tech-savvy enough to know if it would work or not. I made sure to look for only LGA775 motherboards as well, so hopefully that shouldn't be an issue. From what I'm reading one of the main issues might be the PSU compatibility?

For reference the PSU is a Dell H750P-00 (CN-0MG309-47890-79E-0851)
It has a 24-pin cable (P1), a 20-pin cable (P2), a 6-pin cable (P3), and another 6-pin cable (P4)

The motherboard is CK520 (or YU822, I'm not sure what the difference is, they look the same), and also has both a 24-pin and 20-pin connector.

Last edited:

Looking between the two I don't see much difference. One could be a more updated version of the other.

Buy it gut it and transfer .The best part you also upgraded with an i7 VS the core 2 quad. Faster with simi modern CPU instructions. Just a thought.:)

Oct 16, 2023

Looking between the two I don't see much difference. One could be a more updated version of the other.
Yeah, I'm guessing at least one of these is from the H2C versions. Could also be from the 700, 710 or 730? Not really sure. Also confirmed I have the YU822, although I don't think it matters much between these.

Buy it gut it and transfer .The best part you also upgraded with an i7 VS the core 2 quad. Faster with simi modern CPU instructions. Just a thought.:)
Thanks for the links and the idea! This might be the way for me, with the CPU upgrade included. Knowing it's from Dell as well leaves me more secure as well with all of the proprietary stuff.

Oct 16, 2023
So, apparently the 980s PSU+motherboard use a proprietary (?) power connection. The pins are much smaller than the standard 24-pin connector pins, such as the one in the XPS 720.

View: https://imgur.com/a/WnZrecO

I have a RX 580 GPU that I'd like to use in the setup, that was most of the reason I'm doing this in the first place, but the PSU from the 980 does not apply enough wattage or have the proper connectors for the card.

Currently thinking about using both PSUs, using the 720s solely to power the card, but apparently it's pretty recommended against. Maybe there's an adapter for the 24-pin? I don't know.

Edit: So it seems like I just learned about mini-24-pins and apparently there are adapters. So you guys suppose this would solve my problems? Everything else *looks*okay.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023
Thanks again stonecarver. 😀
Assuming you get this thing actually running, what will you use it for?

Sometimes, things like this are just Recycle Bin material.

Honestly, it's just a budget general PC build for now, for a family member to do some work and light gaming on. I unfortunately don't have the funds for much more than this as a psuedo-gift.

I know it's far from the best, but I got in over my head with trying to salvage a bad purchase and not doing my research beforehand. It will go in the recycle bin eventually.

Oct 16, 2023
More problems abound.. The motherboard fit into the 720 case, albeit not very nicely. Only 4 of the 10 or so screwholes aligned, and I suppose it's just barely secured. The CPU heatsink doesn't have any screwholes to lock it down with so I'm hoping I can find a few nuts to do the trick.

The bigger issue is the motherboard also has a 4 pin socket that I assume is for the CPU power, it's labeled '12VPOWER'.

View: https://imgur.com/a/OlVuInR

As I mentioned earlier, the power supply only comes with a 24-pin, a 20-pin, and two 6-pin connectors, and no 4-pin. What's labeled P2 on the 980 PSU is the 4-pin connector, and on the 720 PSU it's the 20-pin, but I'm not sure if they serve the same purpose. Aren't those typically for motherboard power? And what's next? Should I try to get an adapter for the 20-pin to 4-pin, if that exists?

Oct 16, 2023
It does have a really nice design, I just wish everything else wasn't so difficult to work with. 😭

I think I might have to throw in the towel on this one, I don't really think the 980 motherboard is a suitable replacement for the 720 motherboard.

The screwholes don't align properly over most of the motherboard, you can't mount the CPU heatsink as those screwholes are missing too, backplates that fit or are adjustable enough to accommodate the design are hard to find and (unfortunately the ones I ordered didn't adjust enough to fit, but I made it 'work' with some spare nuts) all in all it's barely stable. Lots of missing connections, including some for fans and front panel / USB, as well as the power button, so I wouldn't even know how to start the PC. The CPU fan is the only fan that can connect.

I got as far as plugging in the basic necessary components and getting met with a solid orange light on the board and the PSU shutting itself off instantly (it comes on only for a second and clicks off whenever I wiggle the P1 cable). Tested with different RAM sticks in different configurations and no difference so I can only assume the PSU and motherboard just won't work together.

Perhaps with enough modding knowledge and experience you can make something like this work, but I've hit constant roadblocks as a beginner. At least I've learned a lot of new things (Such as not to try this again 😅 not with old Dell prebuilts anyway).

Thanks for all the help trying to get this thing working.