Question Dell XPS 8940 - upgrade power supply to 600W

Aug 2, 2024
I have a DELL XPS 8940 built Nov 2020, with intel i5 - 10400 CPU @2.9Ghz . Recently, Ive moved into video editing and so I've upgraded the RAM to 64GB using 2 of the 4 slots and all good so far. I have a MSI Geforce RTX 4060Ti GPU to replace the installed discreet unit and additional Crucial (T500) Gen4 NVME1TB M.2 SSD still to fit. The PC shipped with a 360W Dell power supply which has lasted well but I know I need more power to fuel these changes.
As parts are difficult to locate, I was overjoyed when I found the 500W Dell PSU in the UK on Ebay from a reputable seller. However, when I received the part today, it's model DPS-600EM-00 A, from Delta Electronics. It looks identical to the 500W unit. I think the connectors are OK too. I spoke with Dell and they say this may fry the motherboard. Clearly, at this stage I'm out of warranty, will this bigger power unit work or am I to believe Dell technical support? What would you do if it was you?

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to stick to what's listed in that thread. That being said you'll be fine with the 500W unit that's listed in the thread above as your GPU won't be pulling more than 450W of power;
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-4060-ti-8-gb.c3890