Dell xps m1730 gaming laptop cpu upgrade????

Oct 15, 2017
I know that the gpu on the dell xps m1730 laptop is upgradable. I’m gonna upgrade the gpu from a single 8700m 256mb to dual 512mb 8800m sli cards. I’m just wondering if the cpu is upgradable. Is it and if so to what??? This laptop I’m just using for mmo gaming and light Starcraft 2 some blade and soul and age of wushu and SimCity 4 nothing special. I just wanna beef it up a bit more since I have a few bucks to burn I guess you can say

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would say save your money for a replacement.

8800m SLI is about the speed of even an entry level discrete GPU from the last two generations or so, and not all games support SLI.

Yes, the CPU is socketed. Max you should consider installing is the T7800 at 35W. The X7800 and X7900 would technically work, but they are 44W and might overheat. They would also be quite expensive for little gains.

Oct 15, 2017
I found good prices on all those cpus on eBay. Which is the best stable model cpu that this laptop supports without overheating????

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
T7800 as I mentioned. You can try the others, but they are rated at a higher wattage. Might not work at all, depends how Dell configured the BIOS and chipset.

Unless you are doing this for fun, I stand by my statement. There have been 10 generations of GPUs since that was released, and roughly 8ish CPU generations. Entry level laptop with an MX class discrete GPU would do better. So a used laptop with something like a GT740 even, and you would gain so much more CPU then by upgrading your current laptop.

Oct 15, 2017
Yeah the upgrades are more of a “for the hell of it” kinda thing. This may be a dumb question but are the bios and chipsets different between m1730s? And how DO I know if the cpu can be upgraded? Does it say on dell’s site perhaps???

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can read my post above... T7800 is a 2.6Ghz chip.

T8300 is indeed a 2.4Ghz chip.

You did not specify what CPU you currently have, so I went with data from contemporary advertisements and reviews and basic google searches. Just going off the model isn't really enough, but if you have an 8000 series processor now, then you can consider the fastest from the line up.

If we look at the Penryn line of CPUs, that actually takes you all they way to the Core 2 Duo 9000 series. So potentially a 3.06Ghz T9900 at still 35W. Just no guarantee that it will work with the board revision, bios revision, etc that is inside that chassis.

Broken record rant:

T9900 look like they go for abut $50. As a comparision you can get an entire second gen i5 laptop with a Radeon GPU for $120, with OS... Not a recommendation, just a thought: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAJ277V5513

If you start looking at passmark scores on CPU performance, most 2nd gen i5 and 3rd gen i3 outperform the T9900. Looking at nearly 10 year old processors. If I had a little cash to spend, I would not spend it on such an old platform.

Oct 15, 2017
I don’t wanna “spend a little more cash” on another laptop as I just dropped $500 even on a dell Inspiron 15 7559 with a 6th gen i5 8gb and Nvida gtx 960m 4gb so I can play destiny 2 in my new apartment without jacking up my power bill. My gaming desktop computer I sold to buy it has two gtx 590s and a 1200 watt power supply which would be too expensive for me to run in an apartment