Dell's Convertible Inspiron Laptop is Also Genius

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
After using my android phone for general web surfing and youtube stuff in areas where i used to use my laptop, I might be comfortable with using a tablet. In a way, all touchscreen phone users are using a mini-tablet.

The design looks good. Seems sturdy, Feel little safer than our current 1 hinge convertible design, but also it feels i want to spin the screen like a pinwheel :)

Now if they could just do us a double pleaser of making an XPS laptop but with the convertible touchscreen, we'd all be in heaven.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]mahonj[/nom]I wonder who owns the patent for that swivel action?[/citation]
More than likely Mercedes. The rear glass window on the SL twists exactly like that to fit in the trunk. I know, I've fixed enough of them. :)

I don't think this will sell. Why would you want to carry/hold/use a tablet that weighs as much as a notebook?

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Dell,

Please, please, please, PLEASE hurry up and get this out onto the market ASAP, and make a big fuss about it! It's awesome! The last thing anybody wants it to watch you sit on the idea for so long, that Apple comes out with a blatant copy and somehow convinces people that it's "revolutionary" and "magical"!

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
applauding at electronics always seems so cheesy, either mac or pc products.

Anyway, Asus T101 (t91 bigger brother) has table capability, it just is pre-ipad but it probably can do anything this other computer can. I don't remember how power full it is thought.

I did not buy the t91 in the end because 10" is still too small. 12" is portable, and big at the same time.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
That's just awesome. I love the idea of the swivel screen right in the bezel. Also digging the way it converts swivel screen and close to convert to tablet mode or open then swivel screen around and you've got a netbook with a full keyboard. Sheer genius on Dell's part

shadamus

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
The concept would be much better if the top of the bezel were not there (even better yet if the arms were able to extent a few inches), then you could use it on airline tray tables with the screen tilted partially, and your hands able to use the keyboard underneath.

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
All I'm going to say is stop trying to compare Intel ATOM performance to Core i7 performance.

"Omgzers its so slows!" - It's a netbook, of course it's slow. There's a reason they cost the same as your iPhones.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]mr_tuel[/nom]I wonder if that hinge will be better than HP's. Those tend to break after just a couple hundred twists.[/citation]

I tend to worry about that a lot. I see a LOT of HP laptops (DV series) with bad hinges. I know they must have done some re-engineering on it since some later models don't have that issue, but I still see a lot of broken twisted hinges on HP laptops.

I do wonder how that hinge system will work though, it isn't the same as a standard laptop hinge, the stresses are not the same like a normal laptop. The cord getting twisted and stressed I worry about. That's a lot wires to run through a tiny space and not get twisted/torn/etc.

G

Great, a too-heavy, too-thick tablet that converts to a too-slow netbook. Now all they need is for it to be priced too-expensive, and they'll have quite a pile on their hands!

sdedalus83

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
For the people complaining about weight and thickness:

It'll weigh as much as and be thinner than an ipad with a bluetooth keyboard and clamshell case. And actually do stuff business users actually need to do, rather than just be a pretty toy.

estebanhillcoat

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
more BS from dell. Intel 8088 inside? WTF ??? Hiper mega SLOW!!!!! . People need FAST hardware and optimized software cause we need that gadget to do the job. Thats why Bberry and apple both succeed. You press a button and you get an app. In this case you get a cup of coffee and some donuts... til something appears...

G

It looks too unresponsive for touch. Plus the movie demo was unwatchable.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I think the "swiss army knife"* approach misses a major advantage of a tablet device: size and weight. A thick, heavy, bulky tablet will always fail as a tablet.

* No offense intended to the Swiss, or their great army knife.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Nice to see crapple is going to get what it deserves for being a el-cheapo copy cat. Anyone can take other people ideas, put them in nice casing and charge morons an arm and a leg for crap in nice casing. It takes some thought to come up with a product like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.