Info DEMO released for "System Shock Remake", and "Star Wars Jedi: Survivor" gets a 9-min gameplay video

Hi all,

Well first of all, I'm not sure how many of you have already played the original SYSTEM SHOCK game released in 1994, but I really enjoyed that title, including the second part sequel, System Shock 2. Critics praised System Shock and hailed it as a major breakthrough in its genre. It was later placed on multiple 'hall of fame' lists.

The game was a moderate commercial success, with sales exceeding 170,000 copies, but Looking Glass ultimately lost money on the project. Fast forward to 2023 and the game gets a REMAKE which is going to come out in March 2023. But right now we can try a free DEMO of this game.

If you are interested, then you can download this new demo from here. The System Shock demo is part of "Steam Next Fest", which sees Valve and many other developers sharing their work with free demos, behind-the-scenes looks, and developer interviews.

Official game description:

"System Shock is the fully fledged remake of the ground breaking original from 1994, combining cult gameplay with all-new HD visuals, updated controls, an overhauled interface and all-new sounds & music; it even has the original voice actor of SHODAN, one of gaming’s most iconic villains. Witness the rebirth of one of the greatest and most influential games ever created."

This free System Shock demo is available on Steam right now, and it pits you against the iconic AI SHODAN and her minions for the entire opening level of the game, with no restrictions. If you’re a fan of games like Dishonored, Deathloop, the reboot of Prey, Deus Ex, and even BioShock, then this is a Steam demo you absolutely need to check out, as each of those games above wouldn’t be what it is today without System Shock.

This System Shock remake and its demo come from Nightdive Studios, who were also behind ports and remasters of QUAKE, alongside Doom 64 and TUROK, all classic pillars of the FPS genre. Hell Yes !

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo4VV9WMAI0&t=1s&ab_channel=PrimeMatter

The first thing you will notice is a brand-new introduction sequence for the game; this sets the mood and stage for what’s to come once you arrive at Citadel Station. Additionally, the demo offers a glimpse as to what life was like as a denizen of 2072 New Atlanta.

As you explore Citadel, you will discover that the halls of the Medical level are now littered with debris and clutter, alongside a few new enemies eager to make their acquaintance. Existing enemies from the original demo are smarter and sound better than ever now thanks to an "overhaul of AI" and audio systems.

Old-school shooter fans will also notice that enemies are particularly juicy thanks to new "dismemberment tech". There are also some new machines across the level: Vending Machines to satiate the thirstiest of Hackers, Recycling Stations to earn some extra cred, Transdermal Dispensers for those who need a pick-me-up, and a mysterious Mod-Kit station.

The new demo additionally adds improved controller support. As said, Prime Matter will release System Shock Remake in March 2023.

Next up is another cool game to keep an eye out for,
"Star Wars Jedi: Survivor". IGN has shared a video, showcasing 9 minutes of gameplay footage from Star Wars Jedi: Survivor. This gameplay sequence takes place after Cal crash lands on Koboh and must seek out help to repair his ship,

The Mantis. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is a third-person, narrative-driven action-adventure game. The game takes place five years after the events of Jedi: Fallen Order. According to its description, the cinematic combat system returns with additional Force abilities and new lightsaber fighting styles.

Players will be able to creatively leverage all these skills to strategically take on an expanded host of enemies, sizing up strengths and weaknesses while cleverly utilizing their training to overcome their opponents and solve the mysteries that lay in their path. Players will explore an Untamed Galaxy and discover new planets and familiar frontiers in the Star Wars galaxy, each with unique biomes, challenges, and enemies.

Moreover, players will master new skills, equipment, and abilities that will augment the ways they explore, fight, and roam. EA plans to release this Star Wars game on April 28th.

The gameplay looks pretty nice.

View: https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/1620527593580806145

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i05L-FaDhko&t=2s&ab_channel=IGN

System Shock, and then Half-Life, were some of the coolest things i'd ever seen at the time.

there's been a demo out for the System Shock Remake for quite a few years now and even the little bit it offered was pretty cool if not only for nostalgia's sake.
it seems like the finished product is just taking forever. enough so that i've pretty much given up anticipating.

there's also been a lot of buzz about a Knights of the Old Republic Remake coming for 2023.
though i wouldn't be surprised if it also hangs in oblivion for quite some time.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
there's also been a lot of buzz about a Knights of the Old Republic Remake coming for 2023.
though i wouldn't be surprised if it also hangs in oblivion for quite some time.

Yeah, that's another Star Wars game rumored to be out in 2023, though there are still many uncertainties and confusion regarding this game's remake. There are also rumors that the game's development has been pushed back to 2024 instead, though it is hard to back up such rumors.

The idea of a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake sounds exciting on paper, but many things about the upcoming title seem strange and contradictory to Disney’s larger plans for the franchise.

Also, longtime Star Wars video game port developer "Aspyr" was actually working on a KOTOR remake for the PlayStation 5 during last September’s blockbuster PlayStation Showcase livestream, which opened with an ominous trailer that confirmed months of rumor and speculation.

However, this is where some might be justified in scratching their heads. Original KOTOR developer BioWare won’t be involved in the KOTOR Remake in any capacity, and the decision to instead go with a port developer like Aspyr is somewhat baffling.

While Aspyr is certainly experienced in the Star Wars franchise, it is only known for porting existing games like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and the original KOTOR to the Nintendo Switch rather than creating them out of whole cloth.

Due to the many years and console generations that have passed between the original Knights of the Old Republic and this planned PS5 remake, the latest KOTOR project will definitely be more like the latter.

D

Deleted member 14196

I love looking glass. Thief the dark project and system shock 2 are my favorite games of all time.

bioShock was a sort of spiritual successor and if you’ve played system shock 2 and then play BioShock, you’ll know why

many of the members from Looking Glass went to the BioShock team

Original SS had super weird steering setup, something that would totally unplayable for today's players. But the story was so awesome. Even if some jump scares were quite predictable they still were scary. And man, Shodan was such a badass boss. Totally worth trying remake if someone missed the original.

I don't know if I'll like or even bother with System Shock, but Jedi Survivor looks good. Now if EA can just get a bit smarter and realize there's more to be tapped in the Survival Horror genre than just doing a Remake of the original Dead Space, which seems more damage control to make up for the Anthem disaster. There's no reason with Survival Horror games as popular as they are now they can't pick up the Dead Space series where Dead Space 3 left off.

Some off-topic news. Was there a breach in REDDIT ? Thankfully I don't use reddit at all, so this is least of my worries.

Reddit user passwords and accounts are safe, but on Sunday night (pacific time), Reddit systems were hacked as a result of a sophisticated and highly-targeted phishing attack. They gained access to some internal documents, code, and some internal business systems.

We had a security incident. Here’s what we know. : reddit

Reddit confirms hack - Recommends 2FA to users | OC3D News (overclock3d.net)

looking back and now Jedi Survivor is an unfinished AAA game that was released in spite of major performance issues.

Yeah I agree on the horrible release, which I'm sure is more EA's fault than Respawn's for a likely rushed deadline, but there is news trickling out that the May 1st patch, the 1st to come for the PC version, is making it far more playable.

They say they are going to continue patching it as well. At least EA recognize titles like Star Wars and Titanfall are as important to their success as their other big titles.

Alright. System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition's FIRST LOOK Trailer has been released today. Thankfully, the game is also coming out on GOG, so no intrusive DRM to deal with.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6mb44nDWj0&t=147s

System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition was created with the goal of reverse engineering the original code to port SS2 (1999) to the KEX Engine and made available on next-generation consoles for the first time. Nightdive Studios has also partnered with the systemshock.org community to integrate all the best mods and updates. All cinematics, textures, characters and weapon models have been updated, and the Co-Op Multiplayer has been overhauled to create a seamless experience.

"Remember, it is my will that guided you here. It is my will that gave you your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call a body. If you value that meat... you will do as I tell you." The cult classic sci-fi horror FPS-RPG has returned...

Text Source: