Deploying a MSP via GP

At the moment I'm trying to deploy a MSP for Microsoft Data Analyzer through GPO. Am I correct in thinking that this doesn't seem possible? MSDA doesn't support administrative installations (well, /a doesn't work anyway), so I can't deploy the patch to the admin-installation. Is there some other, carefree, GP-way to distribute the MSP to my systems without building a new MSI-package? We use Windows 2000 server and XP workstations. TIA.

Hey there-
So it sounds like what you're saying is that you are trying to update MSDA
with your MSP file using something like this:
msiexec /a \\server\share\msdasetup.msi /p msdapatch.msp

and its not working? If that is the case, then you have a couple of options
from a GPO perspective. You could package the patch into an updated version
of MSDA and make it a separate MSI with a new product code and create an
upgrade relationship between the original version and the new one.
Alternatively, if the patch is changing just a few files in the original
install, you might be able to edit the original install package using ORCA
or a packaging tool and just include the patched files in the original MSI.
In that case, you would have to do a re-deploy on that package within the
GPO to have your users pick it up again.

Darren Mar-Elia
http://www.gpoguy.com

"R. Baas" <R. Baas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> At the moment I'm trying to deploy a MSP for Microsoft Data Analyzer
through GPO. Am I correct in thinking that this doesn't seem possible? MSDA
doesn't support administrative installations (well, /a doesn't work anyway),
so I can't deploy the patch to the admin-installation. Is there some other,
carefree, GP-way to distribute the MSP to my systems without building a new
MSI-package? We use Windows 2000 server and XP workstations. TIA.

Thanx Darren, I thought as much, but wanted some confirmation.

Well the normal MSDA-msi doesn't support an admin installation..that just doesn't work. I could try to just place the original msda.msi on the network, patch it using the msp and then load it in GP, but I think I allready tried that and it failed. Will check again tomorrowif that works. Editing with orca is an option I think, but other editors like Wise Package Studio (which is what we use) can't recompile the original msi cause it's built up around merge modules which aren't available from M$. I guess I could allways try to ask for the source to MSDA ;).

It still would be helpfull if Microsoft decided to support their own msp-standard in GP, you just can't load a msp in gp...only msi and zap...too bad really

Thanx for the info, you've helped me along!!