News Der8auer's 12th Gen CPU Contact Frame Revealed, Tested

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
Maybe describing Thermal Grizzly as a "product partner" isn't accurate (or at least it doesn't give the full picture), since Der8auer is one of the people behind the company.

Der8auer is GREEDY a-hole.
The Original Chinese Aluminum frame is 6$ in China, on Aliexpress its 17$ [I ordered one myself] and he wants 38$
Yeah but he has his business in germany, there are 20% import tax and around 30% small business taxes, and workers in germany expect to get paid as well.
Now I don't know if the chinese one will have the same precision ( "flatness" )as this one but precision would also increase cost.

You try and import and sell something and if you can make a better price then you can complain all you want.

Paul Connell

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2013
Der8auer is GREEDY a-hole.
The Original Chinese Aluminum frame is 6$ in China, on Aliexpress its 17$ [I ordered one myself] and he wants 38$

$38 is a bit expensive for what it is, but anything manufactured in Germany is going to cost more than anything from China. He also talks about having refined the inside contact frame to have a 40 mil curve between the centre and edges to maximize the flatness of the IHS. I highly doubt your $17 frame will have that. As is often the case, you get what you pay for.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
$38 is a bit expensive for what it is, but anything manufactured in Germany is going to cost more than anything from China. He also talks about having refined the inside contact frame to have a 40 mil curve between the centre and edges to maximize the flatness of the IHS. I highly doubt your $17 frame will have that. As is often the case, you get what you pay for.
And in often cases.. the product from China will have flaws.

Mr.Vegas

Reputable
Mar 13, 2019
Yeah but he has his business in germany, there are 20% import tax and around 30% small business taxes, and workers in germany expect to get paid as well.
Now I don't know if the chinese one will have the same precision ( "flatness" )as this one but precision would also increase cost.

You try and import and sell something and if you can make a better price then you can complain all you want.

I ordered a second one, Branded by Thermalight, in Red with silver highlight, and it comes with free Thermalight thermal paste [Dont care, I use MX5, but its free]
I paid 10USD with shipping, i repeat 10USD with SHIPPING that has tracking

The first one was black and made by some factory, doesnt look fancy, just black and simple and cost me 17$, I overpaid, but this one for 10$ is branded and Thermalight is a good quality brand that mostly copies Noctua cooler keeping t heir quality

Mr.Vegas

Reputable
Mar 13, 2019
Most of the time they make in China and re-sell, its just a frame and it was tested by people it works fine.,
The second one I got was even cheaper and looks quality, its Thermalight 10$ with free Thermalight thermal paste and shipping
Thermalight make quality products
https://www.techpowerup.com/294092/...ing-corrector-frame-for-alder-lake-processors

Mr.Vegas

Reputable
Mar 13, 2019
Now 27$ question, Do we really need this product or the original Intel bracket if we use Custom loop?
I mean why not just drop the CPU into the socket [after removing Intel retention mechanism] and install the CPU block, it should hold the CPU in place? [Hell, even Noctual air cooler should do the same]
I got the new block that screws from behind not on top so in theory it should be extremlly easy

So i just wasted 17+10$ just for lolz

TRENDING THREADS