'Descent' Franchise Finally Returns To PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormblade42

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Hell yeah. Freespace 2 was one of the best space combat sims for it's time. These guys know how to do a game right. I'm looking forward to this. As much as Star Citizen is supposed to have in it, I feel one is going to have to work to play, if that makes sense.

Sometimes I just want to jump in a ship with a fairly simple flight-model a la X-wing or Freespace 2, and just go to town.

I think Freespace 2 was the one I got into as a kid. It was so much fun that I figured out how to hook my dad's computer up to the absolutely HUGE 27" TV that we had instead of the 15" monitor. It was a truly amazing experience at the time.

the good old times when a game would fit on 1-2 CDs and they would be released almost bug-free... Nostalgia here, makes me want to reinstall it (I am not even sure if it would compatible with my Win7 system)...

Ryguy64

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Descent 1, 2 and 3 can be found on steam, or GOG. There is still a (small) community who plays the games, and I do too occasionally. I'm not sure how I feel about this though. I'll wait.

clifftam

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
I know this article is about Descent but dang I do miss the days of Wing Commander. I do wish someone do a remake on that.

It is good to see that someone is trying to make a space sim game rather than just the FPS we've seen so much of.

Pedasc

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
I wouldn't compare Descent to Freespace, Elite, or the upcoming Star Citizen. Descent put you in a claustrophobic environment where planning your escape and keeping your bearings was often more important than the combat. Comparing it to a space sim where the hazards are other ships and maybe the occasional asteroid seems wrong to me. I am not saying one is better, just that they had a very different feel other than the 6 DOF.

Accelerwraith

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
I know this article is about Descent but dang I do miss the days of Wing Commander. I do wish someone do a remake on that.

It is good to see that someone is trying to make a space sim game rather than just the FPS we've seen so much of.

You know that Chris Roberts (who created/developed) Wing Commander is currently developing the highest-funded crowdfunding project of all time; Star Citizen, right? ...and Squadron 42 (the campaign portion of a persistent universe) is going to be the Wing Commander Chris always wanted, but was held back by technology and publisher demands.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Descent was one of the first games I purchased for my IBM Pentium computer in the 90's. I purchased a version that ran in DOS. It was fun to play so all they would have to do is just freshen it up a bit and release a new game designed for modern computers and I think I might be tempted to purchase it.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I still play the originals, nothing like them today. I'll back it just to experience a game that's different from all the FPS, openworld, etc clones we see today.

Oh YEAH! I need to play Descent 3 again. Still have the game CDs for my old Win98 gaming rig but wonder if the game will work on Win7. I've run into problems in the past playing older Win95/98 games on XP and more recently Win7 rigs. Not going to pay $10 for it on Steam.

This is why I still have a Win98 DX7 box and WinXP DX9 box still hanging around. ;)

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014

Well aren't the worst puns usually the best ones? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.