Question Designed a wonderful cooling system for Laptops

mpadhu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
Hey Guys,

I have designed a simple cooling solution for gaming laptops. Almost all laptops have vents located at random positions. The laptop cooling pads sold in market may not exactly blow the air where the laptop actually needs. Some pads may suit but mostly not. These pads cools the laptop by just 3 or 4 deg C. The one that I have build works really well and cools the laptop by 10 to 15 deg C maintaining temperatures below 74 deg C while heavy gaming at 1080p 60 fps.

The thing is that an external keyboard and mouse have to be used for better gaming experience.

Pics for reference:
p.jpeg

Y0OdXvV.jpg

3J53xac.jpg

IzwhNo0.jpg

p.jpeg

Last edited:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Interesting, although it is causing the air being moved by the fans to forcefully blow back into the blades, causing bearing wear.

Really need some sort of spacer between the top of the fans and the bottom of the laptop, similar to how you have the feet on the bottom.

Also, most laptop 'cooling' devices like this don't have to move air directly into the vents - it's the more of an idea that you're moving enough air to get cool, ambient air into the vent for the laptop fans to pick up and use. But, aiming and forcing it in works, too.

mpadhu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
Interesting, although it is causing the air being moved by the fans to forcefully blow back into the blades, causing bearing wear.

Really need some sort of spacer between the top of the fans and the bottom of the laptop, similar to how you have the feet on the bottom.

Also, most laptop 'cooling' devices like this don't have to move air directly into the vents - it's the more of an idea that you're moving enough air to get cool, ambient air into the vent for the laptop fans to pick up and use. But, aiming and forcing it in works, too.

There is a gap of atleast 2 inches between the cooling fan and laptop fan so I think it should be Okay.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
What I meant is that the cooling fan is pushed right up against the bottom of the laptop. There isn't a gap here. The fan is essentially trying to push air into the bottom of the laptop and very little is actually going anywhere and being forced back into the fan blades.

u0OWao1.jpg

It is actually less effective to have the fan butted right against the device like this rather than having a gap where the air can circulate through and around the device.

While we're at it, keep in mind that there's very little/zero airflow right behind the fan motor hub. So, while centering the laptop vent opening in the center of the fan sounds logical, it's actually not the best location. The strongest/most airflow is out at the edges of the fan blades.

@ rubix - I think you've got the right idea, but the wrong reason. The current setup operates like a highly restrictive AIO radiator. Fan tries real hard, but can only push a predetermined amount of air through (into the laptop) based on its static pressure capabilities. Essentially the excess air bounces back out of the fan. You can feel this phenomena on any AIO if you put your hand or a piece of tissue paper up to the fan, you can feel/find backdraft. Creating a gap between the laptop and the fans in this setup would slightly reduce the airflow going into the laptop, but it shouldn't make much difference. The big benefit would be that the fans should become noticeably quieter.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This is why radiator fans using an offset or directional cone work better than just placing the fan directly against the radiator - less reflective air pressure and diminished center hub. Static pressure fans are always ideal over higher CFM or pure volume fans when it comes to restrictive installations, like uses with radiators.

Nov 27, 2020
Almost people use laptops in daily working but the problems occur when they face heating problem in their laptop so don't worry at all I'm here to share best laptiop cooling pad which helps laptop to control the heat temprature If you’re after extra cooling for a lower price, Havit HV-F2056 laptop cooling pad should satisfy your needs. It comes with three 110mm fans and provides air flow of up to 65 CFM.Fan speed can go up to 1100 RPM which is quite fast considering the price. But don’t let those high-speed fans distract you, these fans make little to no noise.

best laptop cooling

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS