Question Designing my own nuc motherboard

Jan 25, 2019
Hello,

can any electrical engineer inform me, how much time will designing a nuc motherboard take? If you are beginner like me. And how much would it cost? So chips (only integrated cpu) , usb ports etc. and then the print on pcb?

Maybe i will seek help from my friends with electrical background and also from people at Fiverr.

Thank you very much for your reply, Rok.

Hello,

can any electrical engineer inform me, how much time will designing a nuc motherboard take? If you are beginner like me. And how much would it cost? So chips (only integrated cpu) , usb ports etc. and then the print on pcb?

Maybe i will seek help from my friends with electrical background and also from people at Fiverr.

Thank you very much for your reply, Rok.
Are you already familiar with high speed digital PCB design tools, e.g., Altium? If not, that alone would take you a quite a while.

I'm positive a motherboard as tiny as a NUC and hosting an I7-class processor and even one channel of DDR4 memory will be multi-layered and quite a design challenge. And getting prototype-quantity multi-layer boards built by a board house is not cheap...way, way, way more than just buying a NUC from Intel.

Jan 25, 2019
It is just an inquiry.

The nuc board i am interested in host an i5 processor so it doesnt bottleneck the gpu and it needs to have an m.2. It is 350Eur per unit for 15+units(370 for one). Which is more than double of an normal mobo.

Will mass production set the price below that?