Question Desk advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I have had the same oak desk for a very long time. The entire office/game room needs to be cleaned up.

Are gaming desks worth the effort. They are cheaper than the office desks. I am specifically looking at a Homall desk on Amazon. Other choices are Ikea Bekatn, Ikea Skarsta, Veridesk, . All 60ish inch wide, 27-30 deep, 27 working height would work for me, but an adjustable desk would be optimal.

I have 2 27" monitors and a Fractal 7 PC case, all the will be on other furniture.

Does Homall make decent stuff?

Are the cheaper gaming desks just cheap? Will they hold up for any time?

Edit: 60" desk, adjustable, $600 budget and a 12x11 room.

Solved: with my 2/14 post with the desk from Sam's Club. See that post for final details.

Thanks

Last edited:
Anything sold by Homall, including desks and "gaming chairs" are junk. Period.

How much are you looking to spend on a desk, how much room do you have, what are your "prerequisites" as far as features and where do you live, in general, so that recommendations that will actually be available to you, preferably locally, might be suggested?

This is probably a good option, with pretty good reviews across the board, both professionally and at Amazon (Which I don't usually put much stock in unless there are a LOT of reviews all basically saying the same thing while there are relatively few negative feedbacks that consist mostly of clearly clueless user responses or non product related negatives like shipping damage or arriving late), if you are really wanting a height adjustable model.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2WGFQ...trd-us-1304343455981364700-20&geniuslink=true

That Ikea looks good as well, and usually at least with Ikea you know that you are getting a product that is at least SOMEWHAT decent quality, although it's not going to be something amazing by any stretch of the imagination. I don't look to Ikea if I'm looking for a high end quality product, only when a very good budget option is the target.

I might not be the best source of help in this area though, because I am especially partial to "same oak desk" type setups, especially if they are particularly roomy or L-shaped and not made from particle board. I could never fit all my gear and "necessaries" on one of these standing desks no matter how good or large it was. I need my drawers, shelves, expansive desktop space and solidity. But that's me and I know not everybody has the same requirements. That Flexispot desk I did not that long ago recommend and then setup for my sister who is a school teacher and needed something additional at home that would allow her to do classes while not taking up a whole room by itself and it has worked out well for her. She says it was a good choice and has been pretty happy with it.

If we're being honest, that Ikea is likely from the same Chinese factory as the Flexispot anyhow and likely shares much the same quality and features so either of them is probably a decent budget option.

This seems to be a fairly common theme in regard to the Realspace Magellan desk, from what I could take away from several separate reviews.

The most important issues that should be noted would be the instability of the desk once assembled, along with the poor quality glide system and gears. The adjustment system is also slow, which can be another negative factor for many customers.

Since they were all somewhat different but basically said the same thing, I don't believe it's duplicated information, it's just that the reviewers pretty much all found the same problems. The other desks we discussed didn't seem to have the same concerns, but you might want to GO to Office Depot and try it out for yourself if they have a display model. That is usually the very best way to make a decision when it comes to chairs, desks and monitors and to some degree also keyboards. These are things that are definitely person dependent and what works for one person will be hated by somebody else.

That's the whole reason I asked where you lived so I could possibly direct you to a local store like Office depot. Staples and Microcenter are also good places to go check these items out, even if you don't buy them there. Often you can get the same products cheaper online but at least this way you have the option if you want to take it home right then and you get a chance to get a "feel" for the product before ordering one so you don't waste your own time on something you won't like.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I was at Office Depot today and sat at the Realspace Magellan desk. I also went by Ikea. The Realspace desk felt better built than the Ikea desks.

The more i think about it, the adjustable height desks might be just more parts to break. I will look at desks that i can set the height and be done with it.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Funny, that came up today as i walked through Ikea today with my daughter. Maybe a Lowes or Home Depot counter top remnant is what i said today. It would be hard to get the height i want.

Getting the height you want is easy. You get a couple of these kits and then cut the tubes to the exact height you want the desk at. These are pretty strong, as I have one with VERY heavy audio equipment stacked up on it on my desk.

I have a full size Onkyo receiver, 9 bay QNAP NAS box loaded with drives, very heavy Accurian bookshelf speaker, several external My book hard drives, network switches, cable modem, wireless router and very heavy large professional Peavey powered mixer and 1200 watt professional amplifier all stacked on just one five shelf unit and it's been that way for about a year and a half with absolutely no issues. I actually had to cut the tubes on mine as well so that it could accommodate the low height of the ceiling over my battlestation since it's in the finished basement.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-22...-Shelving-Unit-Black-200-lb-Capacity/32937983

That's one way you could do it anyhow. Cut the tubes on one section to get the height you want and stick four of them, or even two if it's not terribly long and depending on how much weight you plan to have on it, under it. Or, a couple of file cabinets and then stack/shim them to the height you want with 2x4 dimensional lumber stacked underneath. You can stain the lumber any color you like to make it look nice, or even paint it. Just more ideas on getting the height you want. I'm sure the pictures in the link I posted earlier will offer better ideas than I can off the top of my head.

I can build anything I want, I just can't explain it well to the next guy. LOL.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Im thinking this: bench top. They come in 60 and 72 inch long.

with these: hair pin legs. They come in 24, 26, 28 inch height.

That would give me 26.25 to 29.25 overall height.

I am still looking at the file cabinet for one end.

Add a cable tray underneath and a few other features and it would be a functional yet stylish desk.

Those all look like good options. One thing with something like this, be sure to take a little bit of time and don't be sold on the first thing you find that seems like it might work because with just a little more digging sometimes we find a better option after the fact when we've already pulled the trigger on something and then went, ah $%!#.

And, if you go with that bench top, which does look like a decent option, I might recommend using six rather than four legs. Two at each end and then two of some kind in the back center. Maybe, and you could probably determine if that's a necessity after the fact and then just add them if needed.

Also, you might want to check with some of the local custom laminate or custom wood counter top builders/manufacturers, because often I am able to get something made to my specs, or find a remnant or unsold piece, at a seriously discounted price from local shops that tend to store a lot of these in containers or back buildings on their premises. I've gotten 72 inch laminated counter tops for like fifty bucks before, on more than one occasion, which is less than half of what you'd usually pay for one at one of the box stores like Lowe's or Home depot.

Also, the custom counter top shops found locally can also either make or might have them WITHOUT any backsplash, which obviously works better for a desk, and instead having a bullnose or waterfall edge on BOTH sides, so it's always worth checking around AND asking them about the no backsplash option as well. Just a thought.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Edit: I took this desk back. It was nice, but as someone mentioned, the drawers are in the way and the desk isnt long enough. I will leave this post for others to see if they might like it. I replaced it with desk in my next image post below.

I was at Home Depot and saw the Husky work benches. I got the 52" long version. They make a 46, 52, 62 and 72" long, but i think the longer versions are online only. They come in white or black frames with a 1-1/8" thick natural wood top, either oak or ash (not sure). The bottom drawer is nice as a keyboard tray and the top drawer will be my change and key caddy. If i dont like the drawers, they are removable. and there is also a version without the drawers. The top is 52x24. Adjustable height from 26-42". It comes with casters, but they provide leveling feet, if you prefer that. Very well made and solid. The frame looks like it is made from11 gauge sheet metal and looks like powder coat. The drawers are much thinner metal, but have a 30lb capacity. The table has a 300lb capacity

I am in test mode now, so forgive the cable mess. Cable management will be my next task.

This one was assembled, so no assembly review.

home depot link

WSUD9B1.jpg

Last edited:
That could actually be pretty easily solved, IF a guy really wanted to do so. I'm sure you've seen drawers where the drawer front flips down when it's pulled out, and you can buy those hinges on Amazon and other online sites for fairly cheap.

Other than that though, you'd have to have or have access to either a metal cutting reciprocating saw of some kind, pneumatic or even sawzall style, or even like a dremel or angle grinder with a thin kerf blade so that you could cut the whole drawer front off from just behind it, and then attach the hinge to the drawer. You could even screw the hinge through the drawer bottom like you'd normally attach a hinge and then use an epoxy or have somebody tack weld the hinge to the back of the drawer front so you don't have to have screws going through the front of the drawer to attach the hinge, which would make it look maybe not that great. Even if you had to attache with screws though, given the right sort of decorative ones, it could still look good.

Probably I think too much like a fabricator in this regard, and maybe the average person doesn't want to have to mess with things that are this involved. It could be done for fairly cheap though.

Or, you could even just get a board that's tall enough to sit higher than the drawer front and sides, and just stick it in the drawer under the keyboard and mouse whenever it's in use and then slide it to the back of the drawer or put it elsewhere when it's not, if having them sit inside the drawer is a bother. I think it would be for me.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
You guys were right. The drawers and the height were not good for a gaming/office desk. The 50" length was the biggest issue for me. I needed/wanted more desk top space. I took it back after a few days.

That week i got a 72 inch UltraHD adjustable workbench from Sam's Club. This desk is the best built i have had or tried. After the last premature post, i waited to see how i liked this desk after a few weeks. I love it. I feel it is perfect for me.

Desk-workbench from Sam's Club

Yesterday i added a Secretlab Titan chair. By the way they are on sale for $399 right now. The color Ash has a 2/24 ship date.

Yes, the desk is low. I like my desk and arm rests to be the same height to keep my wrist neutral. I have carpal tunnel in both hands from 30 years of being a CADD designer and gamer.

Titan_Chair_jpg-1822459.JPG

Dec 16, 2020
I have got a huge desk from ikea that looks amazing.

The top of the desk is actually a kitchen work top and then 2 ikea sets of drawers either end.

The top is like a oak color and my drawers are dark grey. Its as good as any "real" desk I've seen.

I actually prefer something like this these days. it's cheaper than a desk since you buy only the top and legs or no legs and 2 metal filing cabinet.
https://i.redd.it/kckl14kjb0321.jpg

Here are the 3 things i picked up for my desk at home
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071F15QQ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 60"x25"x1.5" solid maple top
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P1RJ9LS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 StarTech 12u 4 post server rack
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QXT9XVZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 MBQQ furniture legs

Server rack is set on the left hand side of the desk and holds
1500KVA UPS
Dell T5610 computer as a storage server
Self that holds 3x8TB raid 5 array and 6x3TB raid 5 array
1u power strip
1u patch panel
16 port ubiquity switch
ubiquity USG firewall

Use one leg on right hand side, desk hold my 2 27" monitors and my Phanteks Eclipse P600s sits on the desk above the server rack

Status
Not open for further replies.