Question Desktop Build for Sketchup/New World MMO

Bonedancer

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Hey folks, I'll use the template, just hope it's not TLDR.

Approximate Purchase Date: Prior to New World launch on 25 August 2020
Budget Range: $2,000 - $3,000
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Sketchup, MS Office, Family Photo Storage/Organization
Are you buying a monitor: Yes
Parts to Upgrade: Everything
Do you need to buy OS: Yes, will be Windows 10
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon, any place I've heard of with a good reputation
Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU
Overclocking: I really want to get into it, so want components that have room for overclocking, but also want to spend the money on higher-end components that won't need it for a higher-end gaming experience. Truth is, I may never get comfortable messing with BIOS n such if I can't find the time to dedicate to doing it right.
SLI or Crossfire: Think I'll just go for a single card
Your Monitor Resolution: Upgrading... I'm thinking a 32" screen that's capable of displaying what my GPU feeds it.
Additional Comments: Been reading TomsHardware, manufacturers websites, UserBenchmark, Newegg reviews, Anandtech forums, etc. on the following build. Still a lot of research to do, but would love to know what you guys think - am I on a good path?

CPUIntel i7-9700K
MotherboardGigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
GPUNvidia RTX 2070 Super (had no clue there would be a dozen versions of this... need help differentiating)
RAMCorsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 C16 4x8GB
RAM has been the hardest thing to shop for. I've looked at the QVL for the MOBO, read a lot of articles, and still have unanswered questions on the memory forums here and here.
SSDSamsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
Tower, PSU, MonitorHaven't shopped for yet

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Family needs more computers (to help with homeschooling during this COVID-19 stuff). I'm using a VERY nice Falcon Northwest DRX that is now ~4 years old my wife originally bought me for my Navy deployments. My last desktop build is around ~6 years old, but still works great for general family use. Figured I'd build a new desktop for Amazon's New World MMO when it launches for a high-end gaming experience as well as one that doesn't blink at larger Sketchup files.

Doesn't really matter for intel, but get 3200mhz ram. its like, 5 bucks more.
If you want to overclock, intel is probably a better bet since they have more playroom.
though you will get more performance from AMD ryzen.

I would suggest a 650w powersupply, an rm650x is a good bet. (check the powersupply tier list on the ltt forum for other specific reccomendations)

As for gpu varients, Don't get the most expensive one like a strix or other, since they are slightly faster, its really by a small margin.
get one that looks nice and fits your case. and has a cooling system that is good. (3 or 2 fans doesn't really matter)

As for case
find a couple that you like the looks of, then read reviews or ask on here to see which has the better airflow.

Reactions: Bonedancer

Bonedancer

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

Thank you for the feedback. I was initially looking at 3200 RAM, but seemed to be so much debate surrounding whether or not the XMP settings are reliable. If it's relatively easy for a "first-time overclocker" to set up, I'm all about spending a little more for the higher speed.

As for the aesthetics you mentioned, I'm not overly concerned about what something looks like. The tower will be as hidden as possible (while making sure I have good airflow). My kids, however, will definitely like to see the flashy colors and whatnot.

Thank you for the feedback. I was initially looking at 3200 RAM, but seemed to be so much debate surrounding whether or not the XMP settings are reliable. If it's relatively easy for a "first-time overclocker" to set up, I'm all about spending a little more for the higher speed.

As for the aesthetics you mentioned, I'm not overly concerned about what something looks like. The tower will be as hidden as possible (while making sure I have good airflow). My kids, however, will definitely like to see the flashy colors and whatnot.
XMP is not reliable at all.
but if you only go for what the dimm is rated for, you should be mostly free of tinkering.
also, as for the case, what i said still stands.
If it doesn't matter the looks, go watch "GamersNexus"'s 2019 case showdown.

Bonedancer

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
XMP is not reliable at all.
Good to know. I'll still give it a shot. I'm diving deep into 3200 MHz RAM modules now (think I'll stick with 16GB (2x8). I'm noticing:

1. At 3200, I'm noticing it's not extremely common to find a CAS latency below 16 (if there are, they either aren't compatible with my MOBO, or they are too expensive)
  2. The MOBO QVL is my friend. However, I'm noticing that there are RAM modules that are on it, but not the other way around (the MOBO isn't on the RAMs QVL).... As long as I see compatibility on one QVL, can I assume I'm good?

Good to know. I'll still give it a shot. I'm diving deep into 3200 MHz RAM modules now (think I'll stick with 16GB (2x8). I'm noticing:

1. At 3200, I'm noticing it's not extremely common to find a CAS latency below 16 (if there are, they either aren't compatible with my MOBO, or they are too expensive)
  2. The MOBO QVL is my friend. However, I'm noticing that there are RAM modules that are on it, but not the other way around (the MOBO isn't on the RAMs QVL).... As long as I see compatibility on one QVL, can I assume I'm good?
yes

Bonedancer

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

Just wanted to follow up. My components came in a couple days ago and I built the system. Luckily, no components were DOA and everything worked great.

Very glad I went with 3200 like you recommended. XMP enabled, and my RAM score on UserBenchmark went from 27% to 98%. Thanks again!