Desktop GPU Performance Hierarchy Table (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMM72

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
I don't know what planet Chris lives on but here on Earth, I've watched the GTX 1080, 1070, and 1060s jump in price by from $110 (1080) to $90(1060) since May. Micro Center's May printed "online catalog" had a full page (#15 - two pages if viewed online) of video cards - June has no such page and only a few teaser lines in their "hot deals" section. WFT? An ASUS GTX 1070 card,SKU 094250 was $399 (list $439), now it is $489 (list $519), a 22% jump.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
This and the Best Graphics pages note July instead of June - while I love news from the future, I assume that wasn't what was meant! ;)

Kidding aside, I note that while the update says "added Nvidia GeForce Titan Xp & Nvidia GeForce GT 1030" - I don't actually see the GT 1030 anywhere on the chart.

I'm curious, though - the Best Graphics article says that no samples have been offered of the 1030, so, if Tom's Hardware hasn't been able to perform tests, how would you estimate where the 1030 would fall on the chart? Assuming, of course, the comment about adding the 1030 wasn't accidental.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Hmmm, that may well be, although, I have to say, given the astronomical price increases I've seen on the Radeons, the Nvidia price spikes are, relatively speaking, a bargain. I'm sure the Nvidia spikes are driven by the near-zero availability of Radeon cards.

I'm too cheap and too stubborn to do any GPU upgrades in this absolutely insane, mining-driven pricing market!

Dromoxen

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Its not so difficult to place cards simply by their name and their price, plus where they are expected to be in the product stack. The only real bargains are when old cards are reduced below , or when a new "outlier" comes up. but say gtx1030 will be lower than a gtx1040 etc etc

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Generally within the same manufacturer and generation, I agree. Given one or two of the PCs I have that are both low-profile, low powered proprietary PSUs, AND have incredibly tight space constraints, though, I'm curious as to where the GT 1030 falls relative to, say the 750/750Ti, relative to AMD's R7 250/250E, etc, particularly given that one of my PCs is using a 250E currently.... thus, whether it's worthwhile moving from one to the other.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
@King_V I'm thinking this is a clear case of post-dating -- on July 10th, they will add the 1030 to the chart! :)

Seriously, though, it seems to be missing. Maybe someone should tweet Chris...I think everyone answers to those these days. Wait, I have a twitter account. *done*

Harassment.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

I assume that they pull from Amazon, NewEgg, etc., so can only be as reliable as those sites are. Prices are effectively meaningless now due to the Ethereum mining craze playing havoc with supply of the video cards.

apk24

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

The GTX 970 @ 179 links to a motherboard. The 295x2 links to a GPU/PSU combo. That's not a price fluctuation issue. Whether they've got a person doing it or a script, some of those prices are wrong because they're scrapping retailers incorrectly.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I hadn't seen those. I admit that I saw, at one point, a ridiculously low price for a video card, and, wondering if it was an error, I clicked on it.

There actually was a listing on Amazon for the card in question at the absurdly low price, but I assumed it was a listing put up by a scammer.

I do agree that maybe the script/scraper may need a look. I wonder also if text in reviews might be picked up erroneously.

DraconianPhantom

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
You guys need to double-check some of these prices and hyperlinks. The GTX 970 that's supposedly $170 on Amazon? Click on that and you'll find yourself on a page for a $167 motherboard. I assume that was not the page that was supposed to be there, but a GTX 970 will certainly set you back far more than $170.

Ceyo14

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
It would be great to see consoles in this list as well... Just for comparison for new console converts... It would easier to point them to this for comparison...

Goranz

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
If you have lost the 1030 have a look in the GTX 465 box .. there is a link to Amazon with no description text and that links to the 1030 on Amazon so I assume they just forgot to write GT1030 .. its on par with RX550

Goranz

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
If your looking for the GTX 1030 have a look in the GTX 465 box. There is a link to amazon with no descriptive text that goes through to a 1030 so it would appear they forgot the description. Its on par with RX550 according to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.