[SOLVED] Desktop i7 Mobile Solution?

Jan 31, 2019
I'm disappointed in the performance hit with laptops, both considering the lower core count and thermal throttling to a slower speed when cooling isn't sufficient.

I'm looking for small, briefcase portable, plug in, desktop i7 processor, tower - and keyboard & monitor. Maybe a NUC, mini tower, or other form factor would work.

Thank you for any ideas!

- Dave

Solution
For what specific tasks though? And how portable?

Nothing with a stand-alone monitor & peripherals is going to be remotely close to as portable as a laptop.
Nothing with the raw horsepower of say a 9900K is avaiable in such a slim, sleek profile as a laptop.

Something like the ROG Mothership (and others to follow, i'm sure) have taken a different approach to a 'laptop', moving the components to the monitor side of things. https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/asus/1408381/asus-rog-mothership-gz700

While yes, they're still "mobile" parts, they're mobile components that should smoke most 'average' desktops. 6c/12t CPU @ up to 4.8GHz, that doesn't throttle?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
There's a reason you end up with lower clocks &/or throttling on smaller form-factor systems such as laptops - cooling ability & space..... the same is true from the uber portable desktops too. Lower core counts, lower clocks - even mobile parts are used in some situations

While small form factor setups exist with desktop class components, they're not particularly light etc, and tend to be liquid cooled given the space constraints.

What are you actually looking to achieve with a system?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
For what specific tasks though? And how portable?

Nothing with a stand-alone monitor & peripherals is going to be remotely close to as portable as a laptop.
Nothing with the raw horsepower of say a 9900K is avaiable in such a slim, sleek profile as a laptop.

Something like the ROG Mothership (and others to follow, i'm sure) have taken a different approach to a 'laptop', moving the components to the monitor side of things. https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/asus/1408381/asus-rog-mothership-gz700

While yes, they're still "mobile" parts, they're mobile components that should smoke most 'average' desktops. 6c/12t CPU @ up to 4.8GHz, that doesn't throttle?

Solution
Jan 31, 2019
Specific task would be handling large data sets in a database or spreadsheet file. I want to sacrifice portability for performance, so plug in power is fine, and a larger form factor as long as it isn't as large as a full size tower. A base unit connected to a mule- laptop would be fine. Or another option might be a portable all in one. Another option might be a high end laptop with improved cooling with a fan pad/wedge under it to avoid down throttling.