Question Desktop icons loading super slow (if at all) on new build ?

GreenCEO

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016
Hi All,

I apologize in advance if this post is in the wrong category.

I recently built my 87 yr old grandfather a PC for his birthday and he's absolutely in love with it! I know he only needed a $2-$300 system but he told me to build him something special... So I did without going too crazy lol..

For whatever reason it seems that whenever he tries to click on an icon on his desktop.. Lets say AOL Desktop Gold, Solitaire or even Firefox for that matter.. The program is extremely sluggish to load or it just doesn't open at all which doesn't make sense to me.. Not sure if a certain driver wasn't installed or what but I've been looking info up online and its saying it has something to do with a hidden file in "AppData" called IronCache?.. I did check the Mobo site for any recent updates and it looks like there is 1 update ahead of his current version but I didn't bother installing that yet as I don't believe the issue is a mobo driver update.. His current version is 7B86vH6 and the newer version is 7B86vH7 which appears to only update the AMD AGESA ComboAm4PI to 1.0.0.6

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this issue and if any resolution can be provided. I am going to be seeing him this weekend and of course this is at the top of my list to get done for him. I've included his build below.. Please let me know if any additional info is needed.

I appreciate any help provided :).

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG Dark Edition
Additional PC Fans: 3 x CoolerMaster MF120 Halo (went with these fans bc my grandfather use to love making stained glass so when he looks at his PC it looks like he has stained glass on the front)
ATX Mobo: MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
CPU: Ryzen 5 3400G 4-Core (3.7Ghz - 4.2ghz Max Boost) with Arctic MX-4
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVMe Gen3
Graphics Card: Integrated Graphics per the MSI B450 mobo.. (He's no gamer but recently found a love for the game "Rolling Line" on steam to fuel his hobby with model trains)

Last edited:

GreenCEO

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016
CPU temp is normal around 26C
Ram is dual channel in slots 2 & 4
Malware Scanned with MWB & ADW (Though this is a fresh build and hasn't had time to get a virus)
ssd is 1tb with barely anything on it (few windows updates) steam (1 game "rolling line"), AOL Desktop Gold.. and that should be it..
Win 10 is fresh install

cpu temp?
ram running at dual channel?
malware scan?
how full is the ssd?
and is windows 10 fresh install for the build?