Desktop icons moving on their own!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xrtpatriot

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
So, as the title says, my desktop icons wont stay put. This only just happened 2 days ago, Sunday my icons were where I put them, and not moving on their own. Suddenly Monday they are auto arranged on the left side in no particular order.

So, what is causing this?

First let me say, I have already checked, auto arrange is NOT on. I've also not right clicked my desktop and clicked sort by >. This problem is happening on boot up, I can move an icon to a different spot, reboot and it will be moved back to the left side of my screen. I do have a dual monitor setup, I have a 22" asus monitor hooked up through HDMI to DVI (HDMI end is on the monitor), and then a 40" tv hooked up from HDMI to HDMI. Both monitors are running into a single HIS 6950 2GB model video card. I've had this working fine since last September.

The only coincidence I can think of that may have caused this is my graphic drivers. If my memory serves me correctly I updated from 12.11 to 12.12 for the ATI card Sunday night after it popped up and bugged me and I decided I wasnt lazy enough to have it remind me again a week later. So I went ahead and updated, all worked fine, shut down and booted pc back up the next day (Monday) and sure enough icons moved. either thats the problem or it's a huge coincidence. I'm going to roll the drivers back to the 12.11 version to test this theory but I was curious if anyone else had heard reports of this, or even experienced this problem themselves, and if so was it the same 12.12 drivers I mentioned or something else? And obviously if they had this problem if they found a solution?

I'll report back with my findings on the driver rollback and whether or not that was it.

Paul_k

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015

Thanks.. this solution probably? worked.
Also installed Desklock 1.2 (freeware) which as the name suggests locks the Icons.

Merry Christmas.

Sparky2

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
I responded to this thread over a year ago. I have been having the problem on and off this whole time. I have tried all of the above a (a few times) with no luck. Sometimes it seems to help, but the problem is so intermittent that it is hard to tell without waiting for a month or more.

One thing to note. My problem is NOT where all of my icons move. It is just one. I understand about changing resolutions and how the operating system must rearrange the desktop to get everything to fit. This is not the deal. It is always (I think) the latest Word file that I have edited. It has happened with different versions of Office and with XP and Windows 7.

mlmiller707

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
This is not a solution, but possibly in the right direction. This happens only on my pc when HDMI is connected, as well it Auto aligns to grid, no matter what is checked AFTER SCREEN IS CLOSED, other then a refresh it always stays. Stays all the time with HDMI disconnected.

danxmanly

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
I'm battling this icon rearranging thing in W10. I have dual 4k monitors hooked up, with my left monitor as my main screen / desktop. The monitor flickers briefly, then all my icons scatter to the left side of the main screen. I also notice that the W10 start button no longer works after this happens.. with the exception of the right click functionality. Only way to get the start menu working again is to reboot. Ugh.. I've battled this problem since day one of W10 and have given up on organizing my icons!!

mlmiller707

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
it's probably b/c u r connecting through HDMI, once its disconnected they will prob stay still, happens to me too, I gave up no biggy. It's b/c the screen res. Changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS