Desktop+Laptop or eGPU?

artikle

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
Hi. I will be coming to US in a month and a half to do my Master's and I intend to buy a gaming solution once I get there. I'm currently using a desktop with an i7 4770 and R9 290 Tri-X OC which I'm mostly satisfied with. I intend to have a better solution now and considering how my current rig falters sometimes while running at the highest settings at 1080p even without AA, laptops in the 1000-1300$ range would seem pathetic by comparison(correct me if I'm wrong). But I would definitely need a laptop for college which should also be capable of light gaming. So, there can be a few different solutions to this problem each with their own shortcomings and advantages:

1. Buying a desktop+laptop. This gets me all the power in the desktop and portability of a laptop, but I will have to settle for a sh*tty laptop after allocating the budget for a stutter free desktop with a 295x2 or a 980Ti and also, I will not be able to carry it back home across the globe after I'm done with my MS.
2. Buying a laptop with an excellent processor and using an external gpu with it at home. This allows me to save money by not having to buy redundant processors, memory etc for a desktop and a laptop, gets me a better laptop and allows me to take it back home. But the current solutions are not good enough with either Pci bandwidth limitations and impracticality or the fact that laptops with thunderbolt ports are usually $1500+, increasing the total cost to far greater than a dekstop+laptop setup. Thunderbolt 3 seems promising but I doubt laptops with it would come by the start of August or that they will be affordable. (PS: I know about the techinferno eGpu forum ^_^)

I'm looking at a total budget of about $1600 which can be slightly flexible but I'm looking to spend as less as I can. I need your inputs regarding this and about whether there are any other solutions. I feel like this decision is going to take a long time to make. Thanks in advance :)

artikle

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014

Though I dont remember the exact numbers nor the source, I'm aware of the fact that they are highly hindered by the 1x and 2x mini PCI slots in most laptops which makes it a bad choice unless I'm really desperate and that Thunderbolt 2 port is the best possible solution right now with 20Gbps and about 80-90% performance of an x4 PCIe 2.0 slot I believe. I understand that on the whole it will be far lesser performance compared to a desktop, but I'm just fishing for a miracle here.