[SOLVED] Desktop not discovering my laptop screen as a device to project.

adison024

Distinguished
May 18, 2013
I'm trying to use my laptop screen as a second screen for my desktop, as shown on this video.

My desktop and laptop both are connected to the same router, but the desktop is connected via Ethernet cable and laptop is connected via WiFi. Does this count as same network? I thought it should count as, but please confirm.

If these are not considered to be the same network, what can I do, what are my options? And if it is a same network, then what should I do to make it work?

Solution
Yes they should be on the same network, if you check the IP address, the IP ranges should be the same and the gateway should be the same. However there is a comment in that video that this only works through WiFi.

"
FishFish19951 month ago
You either forgot or just didn't know that the 'connect' function of windows 10 only works through WiFi. No Ethernet speeds can be utilized. This means that the run of the mill router we all have which isn't even dual band will suffer from major lag and more often than we'd like compression artifacts. Well... at least it works I guess. But keep in mind that if you're not connected through WiFi first, this whole function is unavailable.

"
Yes they should be on the same network, if you check the IP address, the IP ranges should be the same and the gateway should be the same. However there is a comment in that video that this only works through WiFi.

"
FishFish19951 month ago
You either forgot or just didn't know that the 'connect' function of windows 10 only works through WiFi. No Ethernet speeds can be utilized. This means that the run of the mill router we all have which isn't even dual band will suffer from major lag and more often than we'd like compression artifacts. Well... at least it works I guess. But keep in mind that if you're not connected through WiFi first, this whole function is unavailable.

"

Solution

adison024

Distinguished
May 18, 2013
Yes, they should be on the same network, if you check the IP address, the IP ranges should be the same and the gateway should be the same. However, there is a comment in that video that this only works through WiFi.

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I just checked. My desktop and laptop both are connected with the same router. Still the ip addresses are very much different. Desktop one starts with some 103 and the laptop starts with 206. The desktop location is accurate to my location, but the Laptop location is around 1400 km away from my location.

I have no idea why this is happening. I have Ivacy VPN installed on both systems but these IPs were checked when the VPN on both systems was off.

Sorry, it was some bug of Ivacy. It got corrected and the problem persists even when IP addresses are the same.

Last edited:
Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I just checked. My desktop and laptop both are connected with the same router. Still the ip addresses are very much different. Desktop one starts with some 103 and the laptop starts with 206. The desktop location is accurate to my location, but the Laptop location is around 1400 km away from my location.

I have no idea why this is happening. I have Ivacy VPN installed on both systems but these IPs were checked when the VPN on both systems was off.

Sorry, it was some bug of Ivacy. It got corrected and the problem persists even when IP addresses are the same.

Turn off VPN