Question Desktop PC blanks screen randomly until hard reboot

Oct 17, 2024
I have a HP Pavillion desktop PC that locks up randomly and I need to determine the cause and find a fix. I have tried installing different OS on the machine (Windows 10, Windows 11, Ubuntu) and the problem remains. Most of the time, the PC will boot up normally and then will randomly throw up a black screen. In rare occasions, the PC will boot up directly to a black screen. When this happens, the screen remains powered up (I can see the backlighting but there is no image) and there is no cursor visible. Meanwhile, the PC's fans keeps running and the keyboard lights are on. The only way to get back is a hard reboot (power down/up). Soft reboot (Ctrl-Alt-Del) does not work at all when the PC is in this state.

These crashes happen at any time with any OS. The PC is all original as bought new in 2019 (16 Gb of RAM, 2Tb HD, etc...) and started having this problem about a year after I bought it. I ran the HP diagnostics on the whole system and nothing comes up. I have reinstalled the OS and it fails even before I load any apps on it.

I would really like to save this PC and make it reliable. If I can't fix this problem I may try and replace the MB or I will just recycle it. I would hate to scrap it but it's at the point where I can't make use of it.