[SOLVED] Desktop PC for CAD

hardtech

Honorable
Apr 13, 2014
I am looking for perfect configuration for desktop PC mainly working on AUTOCAD , 3DS MAX, ADOBE SUITE, MS OFFICE SUIT AND REVIT simultenously and continously..Its for corporate use..Please suggest good configuration

Solution
Depends on your workload, if the program has good Quadro drivers then a low end quadro will beat a 1080Ti. If not the Quadro will look like a joke.

If you’re using Adobe premiere then an Intel chip with an iGPU would be preferable because you can use the iGPU to accelerate tasks and from what I’ve heard it hasn’t been optimised for Ryzen yet.

9900K is the best performing CPU and has 8 more threads than the 2nd placed 9700K. Up to you if you think the extra 200 is worth it for you.
We use Delcam 2017 and Soldiworks 2017 at work, soon to be replaced by Siemens NX.

We just bought new Dell computes since they were doing a Cyber Monday 40% off

Precision 3630
i7-8700
16Gb 2666Mhz non-ECC
512GB SSD
Then used their old Quadro K2000 graphics cards.

You still need a GPU and it depends what programs you use like. A 9900K is the best “gaming chip” and will be the best chip of you don’t need ECC RAM and programs don’t make use of more cores, however if you need that ram, quad channel RAM and programs eat every Core you throw at them then TR will wreck house. Same with GPU as is the program has proper Quadro drivers and was built properly the quadro will outperform more powerful/expensive cards. For my molecular modelling software it would use all the resources properly so more cores and a quadro did brilliantly on the Uni machines with Xeons and quadros

Depends on your workload, if the program has good Quadro drivers then a low end quadro will beat a 1080Ti. If not the Quadro will look like a joke.

If you’re using Adobe premiere then an Intel chip with an iGPU would be preferable because you can use the iGPU to accelerate tasks and from what I’ve heard it hasn’t been optimised for Ryzen yet.

9900K is the best performing CPU and has 8 more threads than the 2nd placed 9700K. Up to you if you think the extra 200 is worth it for you.

Solution