Desktop PC runs for about 2 seconds, then switches off and stays off

Philhen1943

Honorable
Oct 4, 2016
I added a 5th HDD but the power cable shorted and the cable melted. I managed to turn the electricity off immediately, so a fire was averted. Without reconnecting the 5th HDD, the PC booted successfully. Does anyone have any idea what has happened and what I must do the get it going again?

Regards to all,

Philhen

Thanks Dr Rob, However, I did change the wiring immediately afterwards. The precise cable was the power supply to a SATA disk, and since the event, apart from the machine stopping, I can make out no particular problems with it. I'll take it out again this afternoon and check the cabling again, just in case! The cable in use at the time was burnt out, leaving only some of the metal strands
Anyway, thanks very much for taking the time and trouble to read my problem and write about it.

Regards,

Philhen

Philhen1943

Honorable
Oct 4, 2016

Many thanks for the replies. At present, I am weighing up the possibilities of buying an almost top of the range Gaming machine and discarding my current machine, Its all a question of available cash. Having read through many replies to questioins, it appears to me that you can only spend so much before it becomes financially worthwhile - new parts can be very expensive and it soon mounts up. Anyway, that's enough of my problems, and so I wish you all happy whatever you do, and hopefully the first to wish you all a very happy Christmas.

Regards, and speak again in the New year.

Philhen.