Question Desktop PC will just shut off and randomly restart

Jul 5, 2024
Hi, i have had my PC for 6+ years.

Strix 1080 Ti, 2700X, 16GB RAM, 750W Gold Corsair Semi-modular powersupply.

However for the last 2 months, My PC will just restart with no error code displayed, there is no blue screen. The PC will just boot up and the crash will randomly happen again. It will then boot up and go the 'Windows did not start properly screen' after restarting a few times.

I have run sfcscanner and even underclocked my GPU (Still crashing). There is no overheating issue. The error codes would be 7009, 7023, 7031 in the Event viewer.

Please this, has been going on for almost 2 months and I have just given up trying to fix this. I have no idea what the issue is.

Ralston18

Titan
Is all important data backed up to a location away from your PC?

= = = =

Something may be loose.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect everywhere for signs of damage.

Hopefully just something has worked a bit loose due to heat related expansion/contraction and/or vibrations.

Also look in Reliability History/Monitor - easier to use and understand than Event Viewer. Plus the timeline format may reveal some pattern with respect to the shutdowns.

Note that increasing numbers of errors and varying errors are a symptom of a faltering and failing PSU.

That six year old Cosair PSU may be at or nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life).

The PSU can be tested to some extent if you have a multimeter and know how to use it. Or know someone who does.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

As another option swap in a known working PSU - remember to use only the cables that come with that PSU.

Jul 5, 2024
Thank you for your help. Its just impossible to diagnose this type of problem and my only solution would be to buy a new PSU. I just hope that its the PSU causing this issue... If not, I might just have to get a new PC or bring it to a repair shop.

I did open up the PC and it seems that all RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

I will update this later if the PSU was at fault as I will have to get a new one

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2024
I managed to fix the random crashing for now. I turned on the eco mode switch for my current PSU.
What I suspected is that the PSU was overheating immediately as soon as the computer turned on.
I will update if anything happens again.