Question Desktop PC won't boot - black screen of death!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2022
Hi folks,

I have an all Packard Bell PC running Windows 10. A few years old and never had any major issues, but now it won't boot. All was fine yesterday, and it shut down OK.

So I get a black screen on the monitors - no signal at all. The BIOS beeps once, as usual, and I have power to my keyboard/mouse hub, connected via USB.

I've tried reseating the RAM and booting with just one stick. I've tried booting with everything bar monitors connected. I've even tried a different video card.

But nothing works. Would really appreciate any help!

Andie

PS All fans and C-drive whirring away, as normal.

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
If you have multiple sticks of RAM, Try using just one. Also try a single monitor in each port that you can connect to? If the CPU has onboard graphics try that as well.

Dec 21, 2022
If you have multiple sticks of RAM, Try using just one. Also try a single monitor in each port that you can connect to? If the CPU has onboard graphics try that as well.

Hi Ar, thanks for the reply. Yep, tried the single sticks of RAM - no difference.

Also tried the single monitor thing and no difference. I even tried using one monitor just plugged into the port on the motherboard instead of the video card - still nothing.

Any more ideas? Would dearly love to get the old girl fired up again for Christmas!

Andie x

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
Hi Ar, thanks for the reply. Yep, tried the single sticks of RAM - no difference.

Also tried the single monitor thing and no difference. I even tried using one monitor just plugged into the port on the motherboard instead of the video card - still nothing.

Any more ideas? Would dearly love to get the old girl fired up again for Christmas!

Andie x

Hmm thats difficult. I would try unplugging everything connected other than Keyboard and Mouse if you haven't already and try using a different mouse and different keyboard to see if that makes a difference.
Finally I would check the manual for the motherboard to see if it gives any info on beeps etc. Otherwise the only other thing to try is another boot drive if you have one. If it's non of that I'm out of ideas.

Dec 21, 2022
Hmm thats difficult. I would try unplugging everything connected other than Keyboard and Mouse if you haven't already and try using a different mouse and different keyboard to see if that makes a difference.
Finally I would check the manual for the motherboard to see if it gives any info on beeps etc. Otherwise the only other thing to try is another boot drive if you have one. If it's non of that I'm out of ideas.

Thanks again - I've sorted it! It turned out it was CMOS battery. Luckily I had some spares in, so I replaced it, and hey presto! All working fine now. :)

Reactions: Ar558
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS