Question Desktop power button or PC startup problem ?

Dec 11, 2022
Desktop symptoms etc.

1. Have to long press power button to start computer. Sometimes it takes 2 attempts. Usually when the power button is pressed, it begins to start then turns off. I have to hold it a few seconds to start it
  2. When I plug in computer, it starts for a second without using power button then stops.
  3. When recently plugged in, it starts easier.
Tried a new power button and cable, the same thing happens.
4. When I jump the mobo at the power button connection, it starts immediately.

Dell optiplex 9010 mt
I7 3770
Q77 motherboard?
16 g ram
240w power supply

I'm joining the forums here because I'm getting into building gaming machine's, and see a lot of info here

Hopefully I've described the problem correctly and provided the necessary info, I hope someone has advice on this

Dec 11, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Q77 motherboard?
You're not sure what motherboard you have in your build?

Did you identify the front panel pins on the motherboard(provided you're working with the stock board that came with the prebuilt) and wired them in correctly?
Sorry, I knew I wasn't clear on the mobo. I'm pretty good with computers but still have a lot to learn.
Here is its specs

Intel Chipset Q77 Socket LGA1155 Desktop Motherboard 0F82W 00F82W CN-00F82W for Dell Optiplex 9010 MT Series.

Part Number: 0F82W 00F82W CN-00F82W
Compatible Models: Dell Optiplex 9010 MT Series
Chipset: Intel Q77 (SLJ83)
Socket: Intel LGA1155
Max Supported Memory: 32GB
Number of Memory Slots: 4
Memory Type: DDR3 SDRAM
Type: Desktop Motherboard

The unit had this issue before I upgraded it. So it wasn't anything I did. I'm not sure of the pins your speaking of, I will look, when I removed the power button cable and jumped the appropriate power and ground pin In that socket, it starts immediately, but has the issue while pressing the power button.

Dec 11, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Q77 motherboard?
You're not sure what motherboard you have in your build?

Did you identify the front panel pins on the motherboard(provided you're working with the stock board that came with the prebuilt) and wired them in correctly?

That link you sent is great for me, I'm using the stock case, but I saw a YouTube video regarding information found on a following link from the one you provided. I will look into this, thank you very much!!

Dec 11, 2022
Thank you. I had a hard time switching to Amazon UK, but I'm sure that you posted an item like I just bought from Amazon, it's a power supply tester. I haven't tried it yet, I will post the results when I do. Thanks for your reply 👍

Thank you. I had a hard time switching to Amazon UK, but I'm sure that you posted an item like I just bought from Amazon, it's a power supply tester. I haven't tried it yet, I will post the results when I do. Thanks for your reply 👍

no problem 1 thing about the power supply tester light the -5v light will not light up on the psu as modern psus do not use it.

every other light should be lighting up as you test each cable in the testing slots

if any of the other lights fail then its a bad power supply

Reactions: Jcs1963

TRENDING THREADS