Question Desktop powered off abruptly

Aug 26, 2022
Was playing a game when my pc shut off. It wouldn't turn back on, I tested the usual power off and unplug psu, then back in and on, didn't work. I tested to see if the psu even worked at all, and the paper clip test checked out good. I even went as far as to borrow another psu from a friend's setup to see if it would work. Same results.

I'm using a RM850X PSU, MSI Z390 gaming plus, I7 9700K, RTX 3070, and 4 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB pro RAM sticks.

So, what is it ACTUALLY doing when you try to power on? Anything at all? No lights, no fans, nothing?

Try turning off the power switch on the back of the PSU, then unplug it from the wall, then disconnect the front panel connections from the front of the case to the motherboard, plug the power supply back in, turn the power switch on the back of the PSU to the on position and try jumping the motherboard on off pins as follows.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2011-jumping-a-motherboard-without-power-switch-button

Aug 26, 2022
So, what is it ACTUALLY doing when you try to power on? Anything at all? No lights, no fans, nothing?

Try turning off the power switch on the back of the PSU, then unplug it from the wall, then disconnect the front panel connections from the front of the case to the motherboard, plug the power supply back in, turn the power switch on the back of the PSU to the on position and try jumping the motherboard on off pins as follows.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2011-jumping-a-motherboard-without-power-switch-button
I did all of this before I switched it all out, and there are no signs of life in any part when I switch it on. Nothing I did made any changes to when it starts up.

Are you plugging the power supply directly into the wall socket or are you using a power strip/surge protector to plug it into?

Have you tried a different wall outlet, and by that, I mean a completely different circuit. Not a different socket on the same outlet and preferable not a different outlet on the same breaker?

If you have a power strip, have you tried a different one or not using one at all? Which is what you SHOULD be doing anyhow. PSU should never be plugged into power strip unless it is a VERY high quality industrial type model, like those sold by Tripp Lite, Eaton, Leviton, GE industrial, etc. It should be plugged directly into the wall socket or a UPS battery backup that itself is plugged directly into the wall socket, unless you have a very high quality power strip/surge protector. Power strips sold by most consumer manufacturers like Monster, Belkin, most APC (Some APC devices ARE very high quality, but on a model by model basis as they also have some cheap crap too), anything sold by Amazon under it's own name, etc. are not high quality. They are cheap crap regardless of how they are priced. Expensive doesn't always mean quality.

If none of that, and don't make assumptions, actually verify things, applies or is relevant and you've tried two different power supplies and tried jumping the power pins on the motherboard WITH IT DISCONNECTED, entirely (Including ALL wiring coming from the case front panel to the motherboard), and it still did nothing at all, then it almost has to be either two bad power supplies or a bad motherboard. Obviously it COULD also be something like a bad graphics card that has a direct short internally which is causing the protections on the board or power supply to not allow the system to power up, or another connected device doing the same thing, but it's a bit less likely than the board or PSU.

I'd recommend that you fully bench test and do so with no drives installed or attached and the graphics card out, and only a single stick of RAM installed (And if you get the same result, swap it for another stick) in the A2 slot (If there are four DIMM slots) or the slot indicated by the manual for single DIMM operation. It might be that one of the drives (Whether SATA or M.2) or another piece of connected hardware is the problem, but I really think in most cases you'd see SOMETHING going on if it wasn't the PSU or board.

Aug 26, 2022
I believe at this rate, that it's a bad motherboard. The second psu I used was from another friend's working setup. I'm hoping and praying it's not a bad gpu, and nothing else is messed up, as I don't have the budget to replace really anything but a psu or motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS