Desktop Shut Down Randomly, Now Not Booting. PSU Fine, Fans Work For Half A Second - Is It A CPU Or Mobo Problem?

Aug 25, 2018
Hi,

My desktop randomly shut down and won't turn back on. When I press the power button for the first time, the LEDs on my fans turn on for about half a second, but the fans don't spin and nothing else happens. If I press the power button again, nothing happens. I need to turn off the plug socket or turn off my PSU and wait for a few seconds for the PSU to turn off (Makes a click sound), and then I get the LEDs for half a second again when I turn it back on and press the power button.

I tried disconnecting the PSU from all components and doing the paperclip test and the PSU ran fine. I also tried running it with the CPU power cable removed and the fans started spinning at full speed and the HDD ran, so I'm pretty sure the PSU is fine.

I'm guessing I need to get a new mobo or CPU. Do you guys please have any idea what the problematic component may be, or how I can test this?

Aug 25, 2018

Oh ok, thanks for pointing that out. So even though the fans and HDD start when the CPU power cable isn't connected (But all other cables are) it could still potentially be a dead PSU?

Aug 25, 2018

Ah ok, thanks, I'll try running Occt. Sorry if it's a silly question, but can I still run Occt if my computer doesn't even boot?

Aug 25, 2018

Ah ok, thanks for the advice. I guess something must have died, as it just randomly shut down without being knocked or anything. I'll buy a new PSU and see if it works with that.

Thanks for the help :)

Aug 25, 2018
Hi,

I bought a new PSU, although unfortunately I'm still getting the same issue - nothing starts when the CPU power cable is plugged in, but when I disconnect the CPU power cable the PSU, CPU fan and HDD all start to work. I'm guessing I need either a new CPU or mobo, but does someone more experienced please know which one I need?

Thanks

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from thehikershandbook : "All Components Seem To Work, But Nothing Appears On Screen"

Full system spec? and the make and model of the PSU?

Aug 25, 2018

System specs: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bv6dGG
CPU: AMD - FX-8350
Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-970A-DS3P
RAM: G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) & Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB)
HDD: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Corsair - 200R
PSU - be quiet! BN230

Old mobo was ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 and old PSU was Super Flower - Golden Green HX 350W 80+ Gold.

Thanks in advance :)