[SOLVED] Desktop tower vs. Mini desktop vs. Laptop

Feb 1, 2021
Hi all,

I've been looking to purchase a new PC, mainly for video editing and some minor gaming.
As I'm moving around quite frequently (about once a year) I'm a bit reluctant to commit to a desktop tower.
For that reason I've been looking at some mini PCs (HP Z2, Intel NUC, Asus Vivo Mini),
but as far as I can see a mini PC would be more expensive than a laptop with similar specs (i.e. i7 CPU, 16gb RAM, 512gb nvme SDD, Nvidia GeForce RTX or Quatro T1000).
So I'm wondering if a mini PC has any merit at all?
Of course I could always buy a desktop tower and take it with me, just trying to explore some different options.
I realize this is quite a vague question, but is the performance difference between desktop and laptop (with similar specs) really that huge?

Would love to hear some opinions on this!

Cheers,

M.

Solution
If you need mobility I would just go with a laptop, the premium you pay for convenience is worth it imo. It's true they're not upgradeable really, aside from RAM or more storage, but a decent modern laptop will be future proof enough not to really worry about it. Besides you can always get external drives and such if needed.
With a desktop you also have to factor in the monitor, mouse, keyboard and the general bulk of the setup. You cant exactly drag a tower and a monitor to a Starbucks or something if you want to get some work done in a different environment for a day.

Lutfij

Titan
Why not build a mini itx form factor system? What sort of a budget are you allocating to the system? Also parse a list of apps you want to tax the system with. You could look into a laptop but they cost a pretty penny and often times they lack any upgrade options down the road, not to mention that replacement parts are hard to find or cost the same as a new laptop(some times).

Jan 31, 2021
If you need mobility I would just go with a laptop, the premium you pay for convenience is worth it imo. It's true they're not upgradeable really, aside from RAM or more storage, but a decent modern laptop will be future proof enough not to really worry about it. Besides you can always get external drives and such if needed.
With a desktop you also have to factor in the monitor, mouse, keyboard and the general bulk of the setup. You cant exactly drag a tower and a monitor to a Starbucks or something if you want to get some work done in a different environment for a day.

Solution
Feb 1, 2021

Thanks, I'm leaning heavily towards that option now!

Feb 1, 2021
Why not build a mini itx form factor system? What sort of a budget are you allocating to the system? Also parse a list of apps you want to tax the system with. You could look into a laptop but they cost a pretty penny and often times they lack any upgrade options down the road, not to mention that replacement parts are hard to find or cost the same as a new laptop(some times).

I'm a bit reluctant when it comes to custom builds...Checking it out though, thanks for the input.