Desktop Wifi is worse than phone and laptop yet closer to router.

28dayslate

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
I think my desktop has the wrong wireless adapter driver or something but I don't know what I am to be looking for.

The wifi logo on my desktop will say it has full bars. But when I run a speed test, it goes down to one bar.
My laptop is further away and gets 50/s. Desktop gets only 20/s. I reset netsh ipv4 and 6 and all that. Still no luck. I think I have the wrong drivers but IDK what im to get.

mdsimmons1118

Upstanding
Aug 6, 2018
It may also depend if it is 802.11n or 802.11ac which will make a huge speed difference.
ac is faster than b, g, and n. so your desktop adapter may be older than in laptop which will explain the noticeable speed difference.
You could also try uninstalling driver restart and see if the one picked by windows works better.
The antenna may also be plugged in wrong which is what my problem was there were two places on the wireless card to plug it in and it was plugged in the wrong one.
Try any of these to see if it gets better.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
It also depends on what chipset you have.. like Intel or another brand.. etc.. for the wireless card.what is the link speed.. the signal does not mean much today.. as it may have 4 bars at 11Mbps speed kinda thing but not any faster then that kinda thing.

28dayslate

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017

I looked. I have an Intel Dual Band AC3165. I have the latest driver. Double checked.
Protocol is 802.11ac
Laptop has 802.11n

lol which is funny because you said ac is faster. Which means something is really wrong with my desktop.

28dayslate

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017

I just thought I would share because it's weird how it can have full bars idling but when you start the speed test, it goes right down to 1 bar. My laptop stays on full bars even though it's further away. I have intel, supposedly. That's what the wifi properties tell me.

Laptop has an Intel Dual Band N 7260. Protocol is 802.11n
Desktop has an Intel Dual Band AC 3165. Protocol is 802.11ac
Both are using the same network channel (44). Don't know if that means anything.
Both drivers are up to date, too. I am all out of ideas now.

28dayslate

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
I did a command prompt to see wireless interface. Desktop shows my signal strength is 48%. My laptop has 99% signal strength. I feel like this has a lot to do with my speed.