[SOLVED] Desktop won't boot frequently

Dec 17, 2020
When the computer is powered on, a black screen is encountered and after a while the fans' noise keeps going up so I have to remove the power cable. This can happen several times in a row before the computer is able to start successfully. I have two 4GB DDR3 modules installed. If one of them is removed, the computer starts without any trouble. Both modules work individually in all 4 slots. Those two modules have been working together for over two years in the same device (along with two other modules that stopped working a few months ago).

It happens very infrequently but there was Five beeps, which according to the device manual indicates memory problems.

Specs:

MotherBoard: HP 1587h
CPU: i7-2600
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 4000

Thanks in advance.

Solution
That's your issue.
Your MB is trying to run non-identical sticks in dual-channel mode when in slots 2 and 4, and failing miserably. In 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 your MB drops down into single-channel mode which makes it easier to run non-matching sticks.

It would be best to buy a matching pair and use that. Everything else will result in a memory performance loss up to 10% (usually between 2-5%), in addition to your stability issues.
Make sure you have the memory in the correct slots. With two stick it's usually the second and fourth slot from the CPU but that's not always the case, especially with OEMs.

Prepare a Memtest86 USB and get it to boot off that with both sticks in and go through at least 1 full pass to stress test the memory.

Reactions: lavaro
Dec 17, 2020
Make sure you have the memory in the correct slots. With two stick it's usually the second and fourth slot from the CPU but that's not always the case, especially with OEMs.

Prepare a Memtest86 USB and get it to boot off that with both sticks in and go through at least 1 full pass to stress test the memory.

I have tried all combinations of memory slots. When the modules are in slots 2 and 4 or 3 and 1, it behaves as described above. When the modules are in slots 1 and 2 or 3 and 4, the computer starts normally ( 8 GB recognized) but after restarting it will only recognize 4 GB.

I have tried the Memtest86 with the two modules connected and there were no errors after two full passes.

That's your issue.
Your MB is trying to run non-identical sticks in dual-channel mode when in slots 2 and 4, and failing miserably. In 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 your MB drops down into single-channel mode which makes it easier to run non-matching sticks.

It would be best to buy a matching pair and use that. Everything else will result in a memory performance loss up to 10% (usually between 2-5%), in addition to your stability issues.

Reactions: lavaro
Solution