Question Desktop won't turn on ?

yossibac

Commendable
Dec 2, 2021
Desktop won't turn on. I've been swapping between 2 motherboards (different makes) and 2 power supplies with the same strange faults. As soon as I connect to power all the fans start spinning, nothing at all on the screen , power and reset buttons do nothing at all, so can't even turn off the fans unless I pull the power cord out, I know that at least 1 of the motherboards and 1 of the power supplies were working properly, has it being damaged in my attempts? . Any idea please?

yossibac

Commendable
Dec 2, 2021
There are 2 different motherboards and 2 different power supplies, but same fault, I wonder if both motherboards are now faulty? or maybe both power supplies? I am thinking it must be one or the other.

yossibac

Commendable
Dec 2, 2021
Thank you Grobe for your time.
I'm now able to provide the details asked.
Old PC was in the loft for some time but was working at a time, obviously, I replaced the Bios's battery. Motherboard Asus A8N-E PSU CD-GAL ATX500
Newer PC was working and in use until the fault occurred. Foxconn N15235 PSU ISO-400PP
I'd appreciate everyone's opinion. Do you suspect the Motherboard or the PSU? Both PC's show same symptoms after I swapped the PSU's so I must have damaged something?
Thank you. Joseph.

Dec 5, 2021
Hi Joseph,

Do you get anything on your monitor like no signal? Have you plugged a speaker to see if you get any error codes?
Is the monitor cable plugged into motherboard or graphics card
You could have bad graphics card, cpu, ram or even the monitor as you mentioned trying different motherboard and psu if I recall

Kind regards
James

I would tend to doubt that your attempts have damaged anything.

You say "at least 1 of the motherboards and 1 of the power supplies were working properly".

How recently?

Presumably, each attempt would require you to connect 2 sets of cables: the bulky main power 20 pin with the wide connector to the motherboard. And a second much less bulky CPU power connector, maybe 4 or 8 pins?

I'd concentrate on that second smaller connector at least temporarily.....

Fans spinning implies OK power supply.

Lack of anything showing up on a monitor implies bad motherboard or bad monitor, assuming proper connection to the monitor.

It could be a highly unlikely freak situation where both PSU and motherboard went bad at the same time, but that wouldn't be my first guess.

Tough situation assuming no testing equipment and no further spares to swap in to troubleshoot.

Have you reviewed the monitor cable and connection point?

Power and reset buttons doing nothing implies incorrect connection. Review that also.

yossibac

Commendable
Dec 2, 2021
Thank you All. Speaker connected but there is no error sound. Screen not receiving a signal but working with another system, all connections checked multiple times. I do have another desktop but reluctant to connect anything before I understand the problem so not to damage more parts

Dec 5, 2021
Thank you All. Speaker connected but there is no error sound. Screen not receiving a signal but working with another system, all connections checked multiple times. I do have another desktop but reluctant to connect anything before I understand the problem so not to damage more parts
Hi

I would be thinking faulty Cpu or GPU, Ram do you have any spares of these parts and maybe another monitor to ensure monitor not bad? if you have tested all connectors and switched out motherboard and PSU no error codes also unfortunately its a case of switch parts until identify which part is faulty try ram stick in all different dim slots also to tick that off as not the fault
Kind regards
James

yossibac

Commendable
Dec 2, 2021
I just found out, out of the 4 components 3 were faulty, the 2 boards and 1 power supply.
I can only assume that connecting the working board to the faulty PSU damaged it, but who knows? it was sitting in the loft for years. Thanks everyone.

On another subject, I'm trying to install SATA driver on old Gigabyte GA-K8VT800M
motherboard running Windows XP
For some reason the driver supplied with the board don't work, tried to download drivers from the manufacturer, still not working? Ant idea? Thanks for your time.