bill

Hi,
Does anyone know how to have icons placed on the desktop and have them stay
there even on reboot. If you have or have had an HP machine you know what
I'm talking about. I think it may involve manipulating the registry..?

Bill

Copy the icon from wherever it is, and paste it as a shortcut on the desktop...
Ben Myers

On Thu, 6 May 2004 17:32:33 -0400, "Bill" <not@now.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>Does anyone know how to have icons placed on the desktop and have them stay
>there even on reboot. If you have or have had an HP machine you know what
>I'm talking about. I think it may involve manipulating the registry..?
>
>Bill

bill

Yes, I realize that but maybe I didn't explain myself clearly....I want to
place the icon in specific places then after a reboot or whatever they would
remain where they were placed.
know how to do that?

> Copy the icon from wherever it is, and paste it as a shortcut on the
desktop...
> Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 6 May 2004 17:32:33 -0400, "Bill" <not@now.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >Does anyone know how to have icons placed on the desktop and have them
stay
> >there even on reboot. If you have or have had an HP machine you know
what
> >I'm talking about. I think it may involve manipulating the registry..?
> >
> >Bill

Jan

In article <kdAmc.4273$_o1.676805@read2.cgocable.net>, not@now.com
says...
> Yes, I realize that but maybe I didn't explain myself clearly....I want to
> place the icon in specific places then after a reboot or whatever they would
> remain where they were placed.
> know how to do that?
>

> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> > Copy the icon from wherever it is, and paste it as a shortcut on the
> desktop...
> > Ben Myers
> >
> > On Thu, 6 May 2004 17:32:33 -0400, "Bill" <not@now.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi,
> > >Does anyone know how to have icons placed on the desktop and have them
> stay
> > >there even on reboot. If you have or have had an HP machine you know
> what
> > >I'm talking about. I think it may involve manipulating the registry..?
> > >
> > >Bill

Now I know what you are talking about. Place your icons where you want
them, right click on the desktop and select "arrange icons by" and un-
select auto arrange. That should do it.
--
Cheers!

Jan

bill

That works to a certain extent. BUT, if you want to arrange the rest of the
icons it will then move the icons you just placed eslewhere....any way
around that?

"Jan" <myredsunfire@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> In article <kdAmc.4273$_o1.676805@read2.cgocable.net>, not@now.com
> says...
> > Yes, I realize that but maybe I didn't explain myself clearly....I want
> > place the icon in specific places then after a reboot or whatever they
would
> > remain where they were placed.
> > know how to do that?
> >

> > <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> > > Copy the icon from wherever it is, and paste it as a shortcut on the
> > desktop...
> > > Ben Myers

> > stay
> > what

> Now I know what you are talking about. Place your icons where you want
> them, right click on the desktop and select "arrange icons by" and un-
> select auto arrange. That should do it.
> --
> Cheers!
>
> Jan

Try Iconlock. You may have to use it after a reboot but at least it will
restore all your settings in just a click or two.

http://www.filewatcher.com/?q=iconlock