Desperate!! No Boot w/ RAM in 3&4, Boot w/ 1&2 ?!?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nooblivion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Hello everyone, long time reader, first time poster you could say. I have a peculiar problem I've been unable to solve despite my best efforts and countless hours of looking on the interweb. My problem is...

**Motherboard will only post/boot with RAM in slots 1 & 2. No posting or boot with RAM in slots 3 & 4.** :fou:

||PC Details|| :sol:

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3
}Number of Memory Slots - 4×240pin
}Memory Standard - DDR3 1866 (OC)/1333/ 1066
}Maximum Memory - Supported 16GB
}Channel Supported - Dual Channel

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model (was suggested by newegg)
}Speed - DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
}Cas Latency - 9
}Timing 9-9-9-24-2N
}Voltage - 1.5V
}ECC - No
}Buffered/Registered - Unbuffered
}Multi-channel Kit - Dual Channel Kit
}Heat Spreader - Yes

VGA - GIGABYTE GV-R577SO-1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5

OS - W7 64 bit

PSU - 950 watt

||Side Notes||

-I was going to run two VGA in crossfire but the second card wasn't working and had it RMA, awaiting new
-CPU is water cooled
-All parts are brand new except for the PSU, 4 years old (no obvious sign of fatigue/wear)

||Problem Details||

This is my second motherboard, same brand and model with the exact same problem. I wrote off the first motherboard as defective and had it RMA. After getting this second motherboard and experiencing the same issue's, I'm wondering if its a setting issue now or something else :heink: .

I am able to post and boot when I only install RAM into slot's 1 & 2 and everything seems to be working ok. If I were to add a RAM stick into either slot 3 or 4 I get not post/boot and beeping code. *2 Long, 1 short* beeps that repeat. BUT if no RAM are installed in 1 or 2, I get 3 long beeps when a stick is installed in 3 or 4.

I have tried using each stick of RAM one at a time in
slot 1-works
slot 2-works
slot 3-no,beeps
slot 4-no,beeps
Doesn't matter the combination, if any RAM is installed in 1 and/or 2 = works, but add any combo into 3 and/or 4 = *2 Long, 1 short* beeps

Using the software that came included with the motherboard, I did update the BIOS. I've been looking online on so many forums and haven't personally found anything that helps. Is it possible that I got two bad motherboards from Gigabyte in a row???? I believe I've included all the information. Please ask any questions if I've left something out. Thanks in advance for any help.
:hello:

P.S. with both motherboards, I have 2 hard drives installed, but only 1 is getting recognized. Any thoughts? I tried swapping locations of the sata for the second hard drive. 2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Solution
You know, I saw something like this once. Turned out to be a defective memory controller on the CPU. RMAing the CPU fixed the issue. Unless I am mistaken, all but the CPU have been exchanged with the OP's system.

Nooblivion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Ok, here is the update. After trying just about everything above, I got in contact with a local PC guru. He suggested switching out the PSU since he had experienced something similar before. Well I got a new 1000W power supply and that didn't work. I had him come over and we messed around and research for about 4 hours. The most popular theory is the RAM still. If you read the fine print, apparently the RAM I got is only compatible in single channel mode and not in dual channel (dual channel only with Intel). That is why my computer will work with RAM in slot one (white) and slot two (blue). Further research reviled that there is only 3 brands that make RAM that is compatible with AMD Phenom 2 to get dual channel for 4 gigs each stick. So I got some on order and the estimated delivery is Monday. If this doesn't work then it is the CPU but I'm out of time to RMA it and get my money back, so I get I'll just live with it. Here's hoping though

Nooblivion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Hey everyone, Got the new RAM in and had my friend come over to double check everything. No good.

He called the support people up at Gigabyte to make sure we had all the BIOS settings right and they confirmed my worst fears...

Its a bad memory controller on the CPU :-(

Its to late to RMA, but I'm still rocking 8 gigs of RAM which is 4 more then my last build so I'm still happy since my computer is still rock'n the ultra graphics. Thanks for everyone's support.