Destroyed Drive and lost data after WIn10 install

themiziko

Reputable
Sep 19, 2017
Hello Everyone !
So, after following this guide :http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html
when I was in BIOS Settings and started to install win10 on my pc I accidentally destroyed the drive I used for the installation (It decreased from 150gb to 30 of aviable space)

Same for the drive I installed the system on(from 250gb to 230)

Because in one of the steps it was recommended to delete the partitions from the drive. Is there any way to recover it ? or recover disc to the state and memory it was previously ?

Solution

Delete empty partition F:
Then create a new one in unallocated space and format it to NTFS.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You're seeing 250GB dropped to 230GB *After* the install?

That's normal - especially for SSDs.
Between formatting/reserved areas and garbage collection etc, 230GB total drive size on a 250GB (assuming SSD) is normal.

As for the 150GB to 30GB on the drive used for the OS install - I would assume it's created a 30GB partition and you could extend that to recover the 'missing' 100+GB

As you've deleted partitions housing data, recovery of said data is tough.
Even moreso when you've re-written on the drive (likely beyond "at home" recovery).

themiziko

Reputable
Sep 19, 2017

So I don't understand. What is the purpose of this step if it only deletes permanently space from your drive ? And if you have 250 gb drive you will delete partitions of the hard drive until it reaches 0 ?

The purpose of that was to make sure the drive you are installing the OS on is clean. You delete the partition first, then create the new partition during the Windows Installation.

This is why the guide said to remove all other hard drives before you begin the installation. You should only be deleting the partitions of the drive you are going to be installing the OS on. Once you do that, kick off the Windows Installation, if it says there is no partitions. Just create one partition that uses all the disk space and proceed with the install.

Now if there is data on the partitions you already deleted that you needed (which is what I thought you were trying to say) then you will need to recover the data via your backup.

Here is an example of partitioning the drive during Windows Installation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8UN1njjDkM

themiziko

Reputable
Sep 19, 2017

So if I have 2 drives than one Had 250 gb of space, and the second one 150 there is currently nothing I can do to restore or get the missing space back ? the drive is in short, destroyed ?
I must add that I'm not worried about the files, because I haven't lost anything from the drives So I don't want to recover any files, just restore them to the size capacity they had previously.

Did you smash your drive with a hammer? If not then no, it's not destroyed.

Can you post screenshot from Disk Management?

themiziko

Reputable
Sep 19, 2017

https://gyazo.com/c652516aa2fe134410dd3a24318cd4c7 This is how it looks

You have unallocated space. Click on the unallocated space, you should have an option to expand.

If your data was on that partition. It is deleted and you will have to restore from backup (only if you want the data back)

If you just want the missing space back. Then extend the partition.

themiziko

Reputable
Sep 19, 2017
Thank you for help @rgd1101 and @SkyNetRising :) and the disc I have the system on with 250 gb just shows as 232 right ? and it doesn't mean I lost any space there ?