det3 prob with hercules

G

I have a Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS 64MB (Geforce2) card. I tried to upgrade to the 6.31 nv det3 drivers, when I did, my display was grainy/blurry - especially with text. Games and 3d works fine, except for the general lack of sharpness.
I put back in the Hercules 5.32 drivers, and it was fine again. This problem was present in all resolutions and color depths. What could be the problem? Thanks

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi Tim,
I just recently bought a Hercules GeForce2 GTS 64, and I've just installed the same Detonator drivers.. 6.31. I've noticed NO problems whatsoever with them so far.
Have you checked your refresh setting? Everytime I change video drivers, the settings always revert back to either "optimal", or "adapter default". My monitor looks killer at a res of 1024 by 768 with an 85 refresh, but if it's set to optimal, it runs that resolution's refresh at 100, which looks a little blurry on my system. My monitor will handle that refresh, but it doesn't look as good.
If I go to adapter default (usually 60 hz), the flicker kills my eyes.
Let me know what you find out, ok?
Phil

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Tim? One more thing I did notice and forgot to tell you. I wasn't using the anti-aliasing with my Hercules drivers, but when I installed the Det3 drivers, the anti-aliasing was set ON by default. That little box that says "force anti-aliasing in all applications" was checked ON too. From what I gather, the anti-aliasing smoothes out the jaggies that we see along the edges of 3d objects by blurring them together somewhat. I don't know if that has anything to do with 2d applications, but it might.
Phil

G

Still no luck with the det 3 drivers, I tried 6.31, and 7.17 - same problem. Antialiasing is off. the problem is a general lack of crispness, making small text especially grainy and hard to read. I am at 1024x768 resolution (although the problem is on all resolutions). I tried changing the refresh to all available options - the crispness did improve slighty when at 60hz compared to all other rates, but still was far worse than with the hercules 5.32 drivers (which I reinstalled again for now). Arrgggg...

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Tim,
Your problem is baffling. When you installed the nVidia drivers, did you make sure that all traces of the Hercules drivers were uninstalled? I used to have a few probs with my TnT2 drivers when I would change them over. I know you are probably setting your adapter to a Standard VGA adapter and then installing the new drivers, but have you gone into C:\Windows\Inf\other and deleted the guillemot.inf that is in there before trying that? I don't know if that would help you, but it's something to try. Is Windows recognizing YOUR monitor? Or is set to another? You've probably got that setup correctly, otherwise you probably wouldn't have the different refresh rate options. The thing that baffles me is that most all of the settings in the nVidia properties/3d are only for 3d applications, and therefore shouldn't really have an effect on your 2d screens. Hmmmm...
Hey Tim, where are you finding the Det 7.17 drivers at? I've been hearing about these and I can't seem to locate them. The nVidia site is still showing the 6.31 drivers.
I'd appreciate your help with this.
I will check around at the AVSIM forums and see if anybody can come up with some answers. There are probably more than a few simmers who use this same card, and maybe one of them has experienced this problem. I'll let you know something.
Good Luck,
Phil
Corpus Christi, TX

G

Thanks for the tips on this Phil, I was uninstalling the drivers, and installing the standard PCI VGA adapter each time, but i did NOT manually delete the guillemot.inf file, I will try this later on in the week when I have a spare 2 hours to work on this problem. Also, the system is correctly detecting my monitor (ViewSonic PS775).

You can download unreleased nvidia drivers from www.reactorcritical.com

Thanks again for your effort on this one - its got me baffled too.

/-Tim