[SOLVED] Detachable keyboard and mouse stopped working

Feb 15, 2019
Hi all,

I have a CHUWI corebook CWI542 2 in 1 tablet PC that runs on Windows 10. Basically, I bought this after funding it on indegogo and love it so far. In the last week, I ran into a weird problem that I think happened after a Windows 10 update. My detachable keyboard with mouse no longer works. I'm currently using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I contacted CHUWI support and they sent me a windows 10 image to flash and completely reset the laptop, however, I would like to avoid that if possible. I was wondering if this was a driver issue, but they said the detachable keyboard is free of any drivers and there are no drivers to replace. Initially, I was getting the 'unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed)' issue and my Device manager showed an error as well. These are the following steps I've taken to try and solve the issue.
  1. Followed all the steps here: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledg...ice-descriptor-request-failed-for-windows-10/ - after this, the error went away, but my keyboard and mouse are still not working.
  2. Followed this - https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system - didn't help.
  3. Uninstalled any new windows 10 updates - this did not help. Completely updated my windows 10 - did not help either.

I'm currently not getting any error after the steps I used above. Right now, when I connect the keyboard, the windows 10 changes from tablet mode to laptop mode and when I remove it, it changes back to tablet mode. I get no errors but the keyboard does not work.

Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Solution
Possibly.

However, my suggestion is to experiment a bit more until you are certain about the physical aspects of the problem.

Could be the mismatch is on the tablet side....

There may be some simple way to tighten the connectivity; e.g., paper wedge, tweaking the pins (do so very carefully), or anything at all to maintain connectivity.

Maybe drag out a few more months of life between the two. Only you can decide when the general inconvenience of it all gets to be too much.

And do not forget to look into some possible warranty coverage....
Feb 15, 2019
Thank you for your response. The keyboard is not powered when detached. It only powers up when attached. When detached, the laptop can be used as a tablet, but the keyboard does not work. It does not use any batteries.

Feb 15, 2019
Genius! It is exactly as you suspected. When I kept fiddling with the pins and moved around the keyboard, it finally started working. Right now, I have the keyboard slightly bent/folded so that the pins have more pressure when inserted into the tablet and it works. So I guess this would mean I need to replace the keyboard?

Ralston18

Titan
Possibly.

However, my suggestion is to experiment a bit more until you are certain about the physical aspects of the problem.

Could be the mismatch is on the tablet side....

There may be some simple way to tighten the connectivity; e.g., paper wedge, tweaking the pins (do so very carefully), or anything at all to maintain connectivity.

Maybe drag out a few more months of life between the two. Only you can decide when the general inconvenience of it all gets to be too much.

And do not forget to look into some possible warranty coverage....

Reactions: gmanikumar
Solution
Feb 15, 2019
Thanks a lot, I think I've got that part figured out, but I ran into something else when I fixed that. I had my power cord plugged in and was working with both the bluetooth mouse as well as the attached keyboard. I unplugged the power cord and moved to a different room. Suddenly, when I came back and plugged in the power cord again, my bluetooth devices stopped working!

I tried restarting and that didn't help. I ran the bluetooth troubleshooter in windows 10 and it says my laptop doesn't have bluetooth capability, which is not true. I checked my device manager and my bluetooth driver was listed under hidden devices. Additionally, I now have the Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) error back. I tried uninstalling it and my disabled bluetooth driver and rebooting my PC, however, that didn't help. I, again, followed this:
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledg...ice-descriptor-request-failed-for-windows-10/ - it didn't help.

It's very frustrating, but I seem to have lost my bluetooth capability suddenly and can't seem to get it back. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS