Details on Android-Powered Asus Tablet Emerges

Status
Not open for further replies.

comedie

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
I was hoping someone would recognize the need to have a micro SD slot. Google and Apple didn't. Have been using a Samsung that has an SD slot, but still has a proprietary connector for charging. Looks like Asus has a better option coming

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
There's got to be something wrong with the rumored info--That's a pricey estimate given the serious sub-par specifications in comparison to the Nexus 7. Maybe this will turn into the $99 Nexus tablet that was rumored quite some time ago. Hard to believe anyone would spend more money for worse spec's when only the SD card slot is the only improvement.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]comedie[/nom]I was hoping someone would recognize the need to have a micro SD slot. Google and Apple didn't. Have been using a Samsung that has an SD slot, but still has a proprietary connector for charging. Looks like Asus has a better option coming[/citation]
the nook hd is a criminally overlooked cheap tablet with great specs(same cpu as fire hd) and sd slot. this tablet looks like itll be a good alternative to the nexus and fire though. true that sd slot is necessary to have if you like to have music, movies, and games on it.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
mmm double post. the screen res is still much crappier than the nook hd though. so in the price range I still believe the nook to be best option.

G

Asus from time to time has some really screwball ideas about what the market needs. Maybe this is one of them. A subpar tablet selling more than its own Nexus 7. The spec is more or less taken from the horde of China whitebox Android tablets which normally sells at half the price of Nexus 7. Maybe they plan to sell this during April's Fool day?

BriboCN

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]There's got to be something wrong with the rumored info--That's a pricey estimate given the serious sub-par specifications in comparison to the Nexus 7. Maybe this will turn into the $99 Nexus tablet that was rumored quite some time ago. Hard to believe anyone would spend more money for worse spec's when only the SD card slot is the only improvement.[/citation]

I doubt it, remember google can afford to sell things at a loss and expect to make it back with their play store and advertising. Other companies lack that flexibility.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]BriboCN[/nom]I doubt it, remember google can afford to sell things at a loss and expect to make it back with their play store and advertising. Other companies lack that flexibility.[/citation]
Google is not making a loss on $200 N7 tablets, they are making a small profit on the hardware itself.

The reason why Google priced the N7 with a tiny margin (unlike the $300-400 markup on iToys) is because Google was unhappy with Android's market share progress and wanted to shake things up so they decided to make some aggressively priced models to shock the market hoping to make up the difference on increased GooglePlay sales over time.

Word-of-mouth is a powerful marketing tool and with Apple's tablet market share dropping from 80% to 50% mostly to Android's benefit, I would say Google has indeed succeeded in convincing lots of people to give Android a shot and substantially raise the features-per-dollar bar.

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
$226? Really? Chinese ultra cheap 7'' tablets with WM8850 cost around $60-$75 on eBay. WM8950 and WM8850 are the same chip, with WM8950 been the version for big customers like ASUS (and slower than 8850 I think!). WM8850 is one of the cheapest and lowest single core performing cpus for 2012. I guess ASUS chosen this chip because of the old relationships with VIA, when VIA was the No2 in chipsets, but $226? REALLY?

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I doubt these are the official specs, or price. If it is indeed $226, it will probably have similar specs to the Nexus 7. If it is only running a WM8950 or something similar, I'm sure we will see a lower price than is being reported. I would take this article with a grain of salt.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Zak has really hit a new low in trying to deface non Apple products. Cool reporting bro.

Check the original article he himself has hotlinked above on his own report ("recently outed"). It clearly states this tablet is coming out in SOUTH AFRICA and the price listed above ($226) is based off a conversion of South African money (2000 ZAR). A 16GB Nexus 7 in comparison costs 3200 ZAR ($360).

If it were to come to the US, it would likely cost more around $100-150.

OOPS.

velosteraptor

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
From what i have seen online, the original rumored price was not in american currency, and the price was an "in-store" price, then converted to dollars. Some places have extremely high tax rates on electronics and imports in general, so that "in-store" price in another country may be 20% or more higher than what it would sell for in the U.S.

Look at the link to the other toms article, the price is estimated at 2,000 ZAR in south Africa. Im not sure of the taxes or prices in south africa relative to U.S. or europe, but maybe someone could share?

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
[citation][nom]velosteraptor[/nom]Look at the link to the other toms article, the price is estimated at 2,000 ZAR in south Africa. Im not sure of the taxes or prices in south africa relative to U.S. or europe, but maybe someone could share?[/citation]I don't know the numbers, but I believe prices on electronics in South Africa are generally fairly high. A friend of mine from South Africa used to buy his electronics while traveling out of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.