Details on Intel's Third-Gen SSD 25nm Refresh

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Sounds great. All it needs is lower power consumption, and perhaps some 3.5" models. A reduction of price is also something I want.

kewlx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
[citation][nom]sstym[/nom]What it could mean, though, is lower priced SSD's, which is what WE NEED.Last year, SSD prices hovered around $3 to $4 per GB. Today it's more like $2 per GB (for SandForce and Marvell anyway).When the prices hit $1 per GB, count me in.[/citation] more like when prices hit 10 to 50 cents then count me in for the larger spaced ssd's

[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]Very rarely do you write a lot of data sequentially on an OS drive, outside of installing new programs or copying big files. For daily operations random read/write is what you want.This is why Intel drives, even with their lesser write performance still beat most of the other drives out there. The intel offering is known for its amasing random read/write performance.Of course SandForce has changed the game with their chip, I suppose only benchmarks will tell which is the better option for this generation of drives.[/citation]

For the time being though, Intel will have the largest drives size wise (Micron also but they are the same). And thats what SSds lack even now. Size.

If they get 600GB ones out, I wouldn't mind looking into two for a RAID 0. Just need a bit better price.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
why so turnd down by the speed we haw yet to se the only reel importance cost, might be a bargen alto i realy dont c it happening. 300gb for a 250/200dollar and im in

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]KingArcher[/nom]Why does Intel have poor write performance compared to other manufacturers?[/citation]

It's mostly sequential write. They have fairly good random write (high IOPS too).

Sequential numbers are misleading.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
4X Longer life span, that in and of itself makes this a substantial improvement. I can't wait to get one...but then I see the price and find out I really can wait.

MattPenner

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
These are still a little too pricey for my general use. I'd love to put a couple of 250's in my current laptop. Any word on whether there may be some decent Black Friday deals for SSD's? If they fall around 1$/GB I'd probably be game.

G

"30-60TB" of "Total 4KB Random Writes", what does that mean ? It must mean, I'd guess, that you write a 4KB chunk of data, randomly, somewhere on the disk, then you do that again. Once all the 4KB chunks of data add up to 30 trillion, then the disk might start to have problems.

What is 30 trillion divided by 4 thousand ? The same as 30 billion divided by 4, I think. That is to say, 7.5 billion.

So the disk would start to have problems after 7.5 billion seconds, if I were to write a 4KB chunk of data every second ?

Status
Not open for further replies.