Detect Memory Q-code Asus Rampage VI Extreme

willyburns

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
While using a 'G.SKILL F4-3466C16Q-32GTZR Trident Z RGB Series 32 GB' memory kit my computer will keep restarting without posting until it no longer registers the 'Detect Memory' message on the OLED screen, and will then boot fine and remain completely stable with XMP enabled. The resetting can happen once or six times or not at all, it's completely random. The BIOS is up-to-date (version 1401), and there's currently no overclock on the CPU.

I'm also having problems with the changing the colours on the individual DIMMs in the Aura software and quite frequently one of the sticks will be either off while all the others are synced with the motherboard, or it will be on the default Rainbow setting independently of the other sticks. This is limited to the same DIMM either, and there doesn't appear to be a pattern as to when it will happen.

I'm not sure if these two things are related but it can't be a coincidence that both problems are related to the memory. From what I've managed to find on forums it appears to be the motherboard's fault but I would like to be sure before doing anything about it because I'd rather not return every component and find out it was the RAM after all. If anyone has encountered and solved these problems I would greatly appreciate some advice on how to rectify them ;)

System specs are:

Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme - MOBO (using Aura)
i7 7820X - CPU
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3466Mhz 32GB (4x8GB) - RAM
Asus Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti - GPU
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe 256GB - OS Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB
Corsair LL120 x 3 (using iCue)
NZXT Kraken X72 - AIO CLC (using CAM)
EVGA G2 1000W - PSU

Thanks!

willyburns

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014

When re-flashing the BIOS do I clear the CMOS first and then install 1401, just reload 1401 without clearing it, or reset the board and keep the BIOS as it came before updating it to the newest version?

I'll try setting the timings myself but it's pretty annoying that the RAM is filthy expensive and on the QVL for that motherboard and yet there are still problems. Do you have any idea why the Aura software wouldn't be working?

Thanks for your advice anyway ;)